Is anyone getting good results with aqua aerobics?

kgesq
kgesq Posts: 65 Member
I absolutely love this activity,and am going to join a class, but just because I find it fun and challenging doesn't mean it may be the most effective thing. Just wondering if there are any die hards who think it really works/have gotten really good results. I know I've gotten my butt kicked the few times I've tried it.

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Water aerobics has been my primary workout since I joined MFP. Down 30lbs and counting.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    I don't do an aqua aerobics class, but I swim laps and do water jogging as my main exercise. I'm down 75+ lbs since April.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    The fun activities are the best activities because you are more likely to stick with them. I teach aqua and I would say that my classes are challenging but in comparison to some of the classes I have taken I don't think they are really the same. So just make sure you find an instructor who makes you work hard and challenges you... and you can also find ways to challenge yourself more while you are doing the class if you need to. it is GREAT cardio and also supplies resistance
  • I LOVE water aerobics. I use to do 2hrs every Saturday. Come Sunday I would barely be able to walk.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Absolutely. I have been doing two 45 minute sessions a week religiously since last October and I have lost over 14lbs since I started. This is my main exercise apart from walking and it definitely works for me. I like it because it is gentler on the joints and there is less risk of injury due to the buoyancy of the water. People who haven't tried it don't realise how hard some of the exercises are due to the water resistance.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Absolutely. I have been doing two 45 minute sessions a week religiously since last October and I have lost over 14lbs since I started. This is my main exercise apart from walking and it definitely works for me. I like it because it is gentler on the joints and there is less risk of injury due to the buoyancy of the water. People who haven't tried it don't realise how hard some of the exercises are due to the water resistance.
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member

Awesome. I'll be doing it twice a week. I need something gentle on the joints also. Running gave me achy knees and weight and old age have given me achy feet! I remember the first time I tried it I was in the water with a bunch of seniors. They made me feel like such a wimp! LOL
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    My best friend does them, she says it's a really good workout.