Is it okay if I just flail?

So I have done 1.5 dance workouts on Netflix and have learned one thing: I really lack coordination. The exercises aren't that hard, I just have a lot of trouble figuring out what they're doing and matching it for some reason (and I took dance classes for 7 years!). And when they add in arms... oh man forget about it.

My question is, if I just try my best to do what they are doing, but mostly just flail around to the beat, will that still be a comparable workout?

Replies

• yep! as long as it's movement and you feel like you're getting a good workout in :D
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    haha I just had the best image in my head of flailing, and then I thought about my last jazzercise video.............sigh. It does work even if you flail, if your heart rate is up and you are sweating you are doing something good so keep it up!! If you think about it it's really how the majority of us white folks dance haha.
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Lol im the same but I figure if im jumping around like a tool im still jumping around and burning calories.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    I think you should post a video of yourself doing said "flail workout" so we can determine your burn... :happy:

All joking aside...any movement is better than sitting on the couch!
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    I think you were talking about me!! haha I tried the netflix videos too and I have ZERO coordination..
  • xo_jewel_xo
    xo_jewel_xo Posts: 696 Member
    Hi my name is jewel and i'm a "flailer". No worries, you're moving around and working up a sweat, you're burning calories. It beats sitting on the couch watching the videos and saying "gee, i wonder how they got so thin". Keep it up! :drinker:
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    I just did Zumba for the first time and def did my share of flailing! But, I was also sweating my tail off and out of breath the whole time!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Dance workouts on Netflix? OMG, I didn't know about this! Is it by DVD or play online? I give my parents a Netflix subscription for Christmas every year, but they don't have a computer, so I have the login. I can watch stuff online, I just never got around to it. This sounds awesome if I can watch via my computer!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Same here !! I hate the instant workout they have on Netflix. I have also learned I am very uncoordinated. So generally I make up my own version of her step and go with what I want at least Im doing it right that way but still moving around and keeping to the beat or pace :D
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    LOL<---literally.

I read this title and what like whaaa??? Then read the post and laughed for a good 45 seconds.

I am also considered a 'flailer' I play Dance Central on Kinect and do Zumba. But if someone were looking in my window, they wouldn't know I wasn't dancing to the wiggles. It's worked for me, I think it's just that you're moving period.

"How'd you lose so much weight?"
    "Oh you know...flailing around.."

Hah!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Richard Simmons made a career of it.....mewhahaha.

Log it! Keep on flailing....

If you do play some Richard Simmons archives to flail along to.... leg warmers are completely optional!!!!!
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Wow, you must be in my house when I am doing Just Dance 2. My friend and I were exercising together the other day, and we looked at each other, and she said, "We didn't look like this in the club when we were younger did we?' I told her I used to think we looked pretty cool. Now I am not so sure ;-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Clearly we were separated at birth.

Really, you should see me attempting body combat routines. It's a wonder I don't put someone's eye out. I never seem to be going in remotely the same direction as anyone else, much less managing the coordinate the same movements at the same time as the others. But it's good fun, and I seriously know I've been there the day after.

I think as long as the spirit is in the right direction of the move, you'll benefit. And coordination improves with time.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Glad to see I am not the only "rhythmically challenged" one on here...my hub is like disco boy and can follow any routine w/ease. I am like movement dyslexic, seriously--I simply cannot follow along....

Anyway, I am certain that as long as your heart rate is raised, you are getting benefits, whether or not your movements are in synch with the instructor. I'm sure a HRM would bear this out.
  • owls4eva
    owls4eva Posts: 23 Member
    This makes me feel sooo much better, thought it was just me!
  • xo_jewel_xo
    xo_jewel_xo Posts: 696 Member
    Richard Simmons made a career of it.....mewhahaha.

Log it! Keep on flailing....

If you do play some Richard Simmons archives to flail along to.... leg warmers are completely optional!!!!!

But the head band is absolutely mandatory!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Thank goodness there are some others like me. I am so uncoordinated I used to knock in to people at the gym. Now I just give my daughter a good laugh as we do a vid together.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    I just got a mental image of Pheobe running on a Friends episode...I am probably the only one that remembers that episode, but oh well!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    *LOL* I don't know (technically) but I say anything is better than nothing and your post just made me giggle with cuteness :)
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    yes it still is a good workout, i took a advanced step class cause they had no beginner so as u can think i was so bad but i burned good cals