Super Frustrated >:(

Options
Another week stuck at the same weight.
Another week busting my *kitten* and eating healthy.
2 months of me gaining and losing the same 5 lbs over and over.
I want to rip my hair out at this point.

Also, I have NO IDEA how many calories I'm supposed to be eating, can someone help me with that before I go insane? thanks.
I have 3 different numbers.
I'm stuck at a plateau so a personal trainer at my gym said that I need to be eating 1800.
MFP says I should be eating 1220 (I feel starved and have no energy to workout if I eat this much. wtf.)
And a website online says I need to be eating 1590.

:(

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've found that 1300-1500 is ok for me, and after working out up to 1700 calories. what kinds of things are you eating, fresh and raw or processed and bleached? and your workouts, are they varied between strength training and cardio?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sounds too low, but, I used this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

This is how many calories you should probably be eating, minimum. I also hit a plateau, so I'm starting "calorie cycling" this week. Which basically means I eat the same number of calories each week, but my net calories are different every day.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If you want the most accurate number for your caloric intake, you need to go to a professional. Nobody on here will be able to tell you. A nutritionist and/or dietician will not only base your caloric intake on your bmi, but use tools such a bmr, thermal testing, body fat % and a host of other tests to determine your proper intake. They'll also go over things such as proper macros for you to be hitting. Without all of this information, all anybody on here will be able to give you is a guess or their opinion.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • whateverr120
    Options
    maybe try eating different ammount of calories on different days? higher calorie days on your "fun days"...that way maybe you can trick your body (google said something about variation of calories/day and weight loss when at a plateau" and if your excersising, try doing something new?
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    Am I supposed to be eating under my BMR if I want to lose weight?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the 1220 number is when you have your weekly weight loss set to 1.5 or 2 lbs per week, with as little as you have left, it should be set at .5 lb/week. This will probably bump you up to the 1500 range. My guess is to try to eat more like your trainer said. I have seen it countless times on here where someone ate more and lost more; I am also one of those people. I was losing 1 lb a week at 1700 calories and I lost 2 lbs / week at 2000 calories (both eating back exercise calories). Speaking of which, are you eating yours?
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they are all right. Try 1200 one day and 1500 the next and 1800 the following. I know it sounds insane, but this is a method that some trainers suggest to their clients. I've read some reviews on this method, too.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give, Ive been given myself. Do not work out 7 days a week. Eat back ALL of your exercize calories! So, honestly, your trainer is RIGHT! If MFP wants you to eat 1200 and you work out and burn 600 calories, you need to eat 1800. Take breaks from working out, I had a month long plateau because I thought Id work out 7 days a week. As soon as I took a week off, I started to lose again. Good luck!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Am I supposed to be eating under my BMR if I want to lose weight?

No, your BMR is basically the calories your body needs to survive, doing pretty much nothing. You should be eating under your maintenance calories to lose weight. for example, my BMR is about 1650, but my maintenance is around 2,100, so I need to eat somewhere between the two. A 500 calorie deficit is generally accepted as a good amount to eat under your maintenance calories. You can start off with your BMR to net, and then increase if needed. Since it's just an online calculator it's not a perfect number, but it seems to be pretty accurate.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • bigfoote_03
    bigfoote_03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Murphk i started out at 250 and i am down to 214 lbs i run allot about 13-18 miles a week i am eating the same but i am stuck at the same weight i dont want to run more because that is not realistic for me and i take in 2000 calories a day but i also burn on my work out days any where from 500 to 1000 . I guess i could cut some of my snacks out lol but i am always under my calories let me know if you find a solution and i will do the same for you .
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    It sounds to me that you need to find your true Basal Metobolic RAte (how many calories you burn just by getting out of bed that day) and then adjusting for the amount of exercise you are doing.

I did this at my club 6 months ago and was SHOCKED to learn how much my BMR had changed in 5 years (the last time I had tested it). 5 years ago, I was at 1700 calories a day, just getting out of bed. In January, I learned it was less than 1100!!

The reasons for this included losing muscle mass (I have since completed P90x and Crossfit in an effort to gain muscle), I am older (hit 50 this year), and that I had pericious anemia (this is more about energy than about BMR but I throw it in there as it was a factor I was weighing).

Check with your gym or trainer and find out where you can get this tested. One of my friends had it done at a hospital as well but I imagine that can be pricey if not ordered by a doctor (she has Kaiser).

Good luck!