Attention Veggies and Vegans! Any thoughts on seitan?

Options
I've recently started working with seitan (wheat gluten). I'm very impressed with how versatile it is and how far just one box can go. I spent about $4.50 on the box and got 4 meals for two people out of it! So far I've made some yummy cheesesteaks, a chili, a stir fry, and just some barbecued pieces.

I'd really like to add it into our meals more regularly. I was curious if anyone had any recipes or ideas to share. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the general nutrition of seitan? It seems pretty good to me. Less fat than tofu.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I LOVE seitan, and make my own. It's super easy to make. http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-feast.html is the recipe I use!
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks for that recipe! We always get the Tofurkys for Thanksgiving, but I'm way excited to make my own roast this year instead!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You can do so many things with it, too. I make it all the time in loafs, slice it super thin and use it in cheese"steaks" like you mentioned, and stir frys, among other things. It's super versatile!
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    hmmm, i must be getting a weird seitan....Mine dead set tastes like i'm chewing on an eraser. No taste at all and just rubbery. I try to marinate in different flavourings but it doesn't seem to take on the flavour....Is this just me?
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't know Emma, I've had really good luck with it so far. I think I used the Arrowhead Mills brand and I just followed the directions and boiled it in veggie stock. It was really delicious. One thing I did notice is after sitting in the stock in a container in the fridge for a few days it seemed to have even more flavor and the texture was less tough. I'm not sure if that may be the answer, but I found it really enjoyable.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it in awhile, but I have really enjoyed it everytime I have had it in the past. Even my omni husband likes it. Haven't tried making my own yet, but I do have some vital wheat gluten that I bought recently (it is the Arrowhead Mills brand). Maybe I will make some this weekend.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I like making fajitas with it....yummm!

I try not to have it too often though as it's really easy to create a gluten intolerance from eating too much of it...and can be hard on your digestive and immune system I hear... so I've been using tempeh more instead since I'm not a huge tofu fan. It's much healthier than seitan. I do like the texture of seitan better though.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    The key is to use cold water/broth when you make it, and don't over stir.
  • greensnow
    Options
    I have some wheat gluten at home but it has no instructions with it- anyone got a nice easy recipe I could start with or just be able to tell me how to cook it? Lol