Children's Diet Book

Options
dc_amaryllis
dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
The children's picture book, "Maggie Goes on a Diet," has come under fire for sending the wrong messages about pediatric obesity.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/book-dieting-teen-targets-kids-12/story?id=14335578

Yikes. I think it's too much. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• opalescentmirage
    Options
    Childhood obesity is becoming more and more of an epidemic. I would have to read the book in order to get a proper idea of the angle at which the author(s) are going at the subject, but it sounds like the book stresses healthy eating habits and exercise.
  • Blessedredhead
    Options
    I have to agree with what was said in the article, "Well-intended, but misguided". For one, I hate the dreaded "D" word (diet!). I think it's good to talk to kids about nutrition, and I think a book is a good way to open up a conversation, but it would be better if it was more geared towards healthy eating, good nutrition, and exercise...not just for the sake of weight loss.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Without actually reading the book, I would not want to pass judgement.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Like others I have not read the book so I'm not totally sure but I do have to say I think it could have been titled differently. I just don't like the word diet. I'm not "on" a diet & I wouldn't want my kid on a diet. I have changed my diet and added healthy foods. To me *having* a diet and *being on* a diet are two different things.
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I follow this womans blog and found her response to this book highly amusing!

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/diet-book-for-6-year-olds-seriously/

I on the other hand don't have a set opinion on this book, as others have stated..I would have to read it before passing judgement. If it promotes positive body image, then i'll give it a thumbs up. If it promotes fat being horribly bad to children and promotes negative body image, I give it a thumbs down. No child should be told they do not fit into America's standard of beauty, especially at 6-12 year olds. Just my opinion :)
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I follow this womans blog and found her response to this book highly amusing!

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/diet-book-for-6-year-olds-seriously/

I on the other hand don't have a set opinion on this book, as others have stated..I would have to read it before passing judgement. If it promotes positive body image, then i'll give it a thumbs up. If it promotes fat being horribly bad to children and promotes negative body image, I give it a thumbs down. No child should be told they do not fit into America's standard of beauty, especially at 6-12 year olds. Just my opinion :)

Thanks for sharing that blog post. She's funny.
    I can't really pass judgement either. Like previous posters said, maybe it's the word "diet" that sends the wrong message. "Maggie Has a Healthy Lifestyle" might be a better title.