what SHOULD your goal weight be?

Options
well mine was originally 125... however, since i've gotten my body fat percentage and things like that all figured out i've decided that 132-133 will be an amazing weight for me.. and that will be at 18% body fat (considered "athletic" for a woman)... heres the site i went to to figure it out http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php ..apparently my body with no fat weighs in at a whopping 104 lbs on its own :p

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing some research and revising your goal. 18% body fat is a healthy place to be for females. At 125, you would be pretty close to going below the "essential fat" zone and you could experience real health problems.

It's so important for all of us to set goals that are healthy and attainable and this is a great example of someone doing just that!
  • nekia1
    nekia1 Posts: 6
    Options
    how tall are you?? im 5'5", weigh about what you do now, and my goal weight is 135. People always say to just pay attention to BMI and measurements!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to look into that site later and see what I can learn about my goals!
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    thank you for the info... very helpful!
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    My body with not fat would be around 90 lbs. I chose my goal weight to be 105 lbs and 18% body fat.

I think my 105-110 lbs range for target weight was pretty on point :)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My goal weight should be 73 kilos (160 lbs).....Once I get to 100 kilos (220) then I will just take it one kilo at a time......If I keep going the way I have been, I just might get there by Christmas.....

I want to get to a comfortable weight.....
  • hml1976
    hml1976 Posts: 64
    Options
    Well crap. Mine should be 116.5lbs. Damn.
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?? im 5'5", weigh about what you do now, and my goal weight is 135. People always say to just pay attention to BMI and measurements!

i'm 5'3" ... bmi and body fat percentages are different... i'm lucky enough to have a gym with personal trainers at work. there are ways for u to try to calculate body fat percentage on some "online calculators" but mine seems to be off by about 3-4% using those but it will atleast give u an idea
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Serious answer.
    I would cross that bridge when you get there.
    See how you feel and look and how happy you are with what you see.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that my goal weight is where I feel and look healthy.. not what some magic formula says I should be.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    mine should be 136 which is what I am shooting for!!
  • ambermichon
    Options

i'm 5'3" ... bmi and body fat percentages are different... i'm lucky enough to have a gym with personal trainers at work. there are ways for u to try to calculate body fat percentage on some "online calculators" but mine seems to be off by about 3-4% using those but it will atleast give u an idea

Ya my trainer estimates my bf% to be 21% and these calculators show it 6% higher based on weight but that doesnt take into account my muscle mass I wouldnt think from lifting weights.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    IF I did it right, then I should be aiming for 165 to get myself down to a 20% body fat range which would put me on the upper end of athlete status.

That would mean that as of today I need to lose another 40lbs. That works for me since I was originally thinking about 50-60lbs.
  • char2009
    char2009 Posts: 68
    Options
    I read an article saying that getting your BAI is better then BMI. I found it in Womens Health magazine. "A new tool called body adiposity index (BAI) may soon replace body mass index (BMI) as the standard measure of body size. A study in Obesity found BAI, which is calculated using height and hip circumference, to be significantly more precise than BMI, which is based on height and weight. BMI doesn't distinguish wheather a large body size is due to muscle mass or obesity, says study author Anne E. Sumner, M.D." I looked up a BAI calculator and it gave me both my BMI and my BAI. Here's a good site: http://www.sweetadditions.net/health/body-adiposity-index-calculator-tool-better-than-bmi
  • ambermichon
    Options
    I read an article saying that getting your BAI is better then BMI. I found it in Womens Health magazine. "A new tool called body adiposity index (BAI) may soon replace body mass index (BMI) as the standard measure of body size. A study in Obesity found BAI, which is calculated using height and hip circumference, to be significantly more precise than BMI, which is based on height and weight. BMI doesn't distinguish wheather a large body size is due to muscle mass or obesity, says study author Anne E. Sumner, M.D." I looked up a BAI calculator and it gave me both my BMI and my BAI. Here's a good site: http://www.sweetadditions.net/health/body-adiposity-index-calculator-tool-better-than-bmi
    thanks! This says I am healthy
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options

Thats awesome! I'm 5'3 and weigh 134ish...I have a lot of muscle, but still would like to lose some fat. Good thing I have a training appointment today!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Phew, i'm healthy!
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    WOW! I just caluculated what I should weigh for my height and age.. and I should weight around 107lbs.. SERIOUSLY?! I would look sickly! My goal is 120-130.. depends on how i feel about how I look when I get there.. I wear a size 7 at 155 lbs. I look tiny at that weight! I couldnt imagine 107.. YIKES! lol
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    WOW! I just caluculated what I should weigh for my height and age.. and I should weight around 107lbs.. SERIOUSLY?! I would look sickly! My goal is 120-130.. depends on how i feel about how I look when I get there.. I wear a size 7 at 155 lbs. I look tiny at that weight! I couldnt imagine 107.. YIKES! lol

hmm... do u know what ur body fat percentage is? are u sure u did the calculations right? 107 sounds more like what your body would weight without ANY fat on it? ... u should still have some percentage of body fat- i'm aiming for 18% which is considered "athletic"