NSV!!

Options
patriot201
patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
I used to love to run. I would run and run and run. But that was when I was 17-18, when the only precaution I had to take was wearing a brace on my left knee, which had already been surgically repaired due to multiple tears of its "insides." I stopped running when I was 18 on doctor's orders (I had a raging eating disorder at the time and was not allowed to exert that much energy). By the time I was allowed to start running again, I no longer enjoyed it.

I now have osteopenia and osteoporosis that has led to bad knees, bad hips, and bad feet. I have experienced many fractures over the past few years, so running has been out of the question (the fact that I really don't like to run has also held me back), but I have walked a lot (I am supposed to do "weight-bearing exercise" to build my bones) and have really enjoyed that. I love, love, love to walk.

But I have had this desire... a desire to try to run again.

I know I have to be careful and have to listen VERY closely to my body, but I think my bones might be healthy enough right now to allow me to try to run...

So, I did it! :):)

I went for a walk/run with my dog and I ran for 12 minutes (three spurts of four minutes each) and walked the rest. I know 12 minutes definitely doesn't seem like something to celebrate for most people, but for me, this is huge. I know I should be able to run for more than four minutes at a time, but it is a start, right?

I am very happy. I hope my bones will allow me to continue to run, even if it is only small amounts like I did today. I want to keep my heart and lungs healthy, and I think running could help.

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's more than you did last week. It DEFINITELY counts! :flowerforyou:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am excited. :) I hope my body will continue to let me run. I'd like to try!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!