Packed lunch ideas.

Options
mbat763
mbat763 Posts: 11 Member
I'm a real fan of cooking my own, real food. Hence, when I'm at home (i.e. breakfast/dinner) I have no trouble whipping up something healthy to eat. Unfortunately I struggle to find meals which I can make to take to work which pack easily, are fast to make (or can be prepared in advance) but are still healthy. I'm all sandwiched out haha. I just need some work lunch variety to stop me being tempted by the Chinese place right next door D:

And ideas?

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just make more of breakfast/dinner and pack it
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have lunch already at work daily. I eat tuna fish w/ brown rice. I also leave fruit/veges/ protein bars anything healthy. It takes me 10 mins to make the brown rice (microwave).
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    While I'm getting ready, I make Chicken Sausage in the oven in the morning. Don't eat just any chicken sausage. There can be some very bad ones. Bistro Sensation (brand) is the best so far. I've had some very bad ones.

There are ones like cheese, artichoke, spinach, etc. I cook it in the morning, then reheat it for lunch. Really good :) Good protein, not toooo bad in calories, might be higher in fat though. It's something different. I haven't had it since I started MFP.
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha I eat brown rice and tuna too :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have lunch already at work daily. I eat tuna fish w/ brown rice. I also leave fruit/veges/ protein bars anything healthy. It takes me 10 mins to make the brown rice (microwave).

I love brown rice and tuna together as well! :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When I plan ahead I do way better...I just grilled up some chicken breasts for the week--I'll take a half chicken breast and a cup of brown rice and mixed vegies, and some fruit for dessert...
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I make soups and cassoles on the weekend.
    My soups are usually just an onion and few carrots (4-5), a bell pepper (Capsicum), tomotoes (2) and what ever else I have around the house. I chop them, simmer until the carrot is soft and then blend them until I am happy with the consistcy. I then put it in containers and freeze. I usually get enough for 4 days out of that. I can heat it at work and sometime add some chicken or turkey when I am having it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I like those prepacked tuna salad and cracker packages. They have fat free and also specialty spiced like Thai, lemon pepper, etc..Check the nutritional info to see if they are OK for you.

I have to watch my sodium so I have 1 or 2 cups of frosted mini-wheats because they have zero sodium.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you have a fridge and microwave at work it shouldn't be a problem! I always make large batches of things and throw them in separate containers to take to work, freezing some so there is variety. Stews, soups, healthy versions of meat pies, fajitas... all good options and there are many more!
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I was detoxing and couldn't eat what was available to me here at work, I would pack a lunch the night before:
    -Mixed green salad with chicken breast and whatever veggies I had available (baby greens, bell peppers, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes) with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a half a lemon to squeeze over it right before I ate it (so it didn't get soggy).
    -Small container of hummus (1/4 cup) with either raw cucumber slices or raw cauliflower

You can also bring in soup if you have a microwave at work or leftovers from dinner.
  • abahzee
    abahzee Posts: 11
    Options
    How funny - I never would have thought of tuna and brown rice (or any other) together!

My favorite lunch is watermelon and peppers. Watermelon gives me a little sweetness and the peppers - red, yellow, green, orange are just so crunchy and yummy. I can totally fill up on these two items. Yum!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I like those prepacked tuna salad and cracker packages. They have fat free and also specialty spiced like Thai, lemon pepper, etc..Check the nutritional info to see if they are OK for you.

I have to watch my sodium so I have 1 or 2 cups of frosted mini-wheats because they have zero sodium.

I love those tuna packs.... lemon pepper, sundried tomato, Thai..... SO GOOD! May want to have a few extra crackers around... I always need about 4 more crackers.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just bring leftovers from dinner the night before.

I'm terrified of the work fridge since there are science experiments growing in it. I bring an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack in it, and it keeps my food cold at a safe temperature.

Then, I just microwave whatever goodies there are and eat up!
  • mbat763
    mbat763 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! Tuna and brown rice seems so popular so I'm going to give that a go today :D