So, I bought a new scale, and...

Options
...it's unkind. :P

Seriously, I bought a new scale suspecting that my previous one was being rather generous. My guess was correct, and I'm 5 pounds heavier than I thought.

I know I've lost weight already (my clothes are loose), but what do I do about entering the data into MFP? Should I record a gain, or wait until my weight (hopefully) matches what I've already entered?

Replies

• jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try a few more scales (possibly at a friend's house?) to test for the reliability of your new one, first. If your weight is still up, I'd record it. Personally, recording my gains make me irritated with myself and is a good kick in the *kitten*. Regardless of what you choose, best of luck!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change it. I would just have it as a mini goal. I'm in the market for a new scale too and I'm afraid. Lol!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been holding off on a new scale for the same reason. My scale is always about 10 lbs less than what the one at the doctor's office says, but I figured so long as I always used the same scale, it was fine - it's not the number - it's the start and finish difference. But now I can step on it 3x in a row and there will be as much as a 10 lb difference depending on just where I put my feet, if I am leaning a little forward or back, if my heels are closer together, etc. So now I don't know what to enter.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    There can be a discrepancy between all scales (for example - I find digital scales to show me 5lbs heavier than analog scales do). Since it is common to see a difference between two different scales - I think I would leave the numbers alone on here. I'm not sure that we can EVER have a totally accurate number.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I would go in and change your start weight so the loss will show on your ticker.
    Go Check in like you would to enter a new weight and at the bottom in blue above the green save changes button you can edit previous entries.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I've been holding off on a new scale for the same reason. My scale is always about 10 lbs less than what the one at the doctor's office says, but I figured so long as I always used the same scale, it was fine - it's not the number - it's the start and finish difference. But now I can step on it 3x in a row and there will be as much as a 10 lb difference depending on just where I put my feet, if I am leaning a little forward or back, if my heels are closer together, etc. So now I don't know what to enter.

ME 2!!! UGH! I hate scales!!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You could go to your ticker & reset your starting weight. I had the same problem with my new scale today- I was 2lbs heavier.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    There can be a discrepancy between all scales (for example - I find digital scales to show me 5lbs heavier than analog scales do). Since it is common to see a difference between two different scales - I think I would leave the numbers alone on here. I'm not sure that we can EVER have a totally accurate number.
    I should maybe buy an analog??
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha This happened to me. One day I was curious to how accurate my scale was so I put a dumbbell on it and it weighed it 2 lbs less than it really was...thinking backwards, I put that I lost 2 lbs on MFP then realized later it should have been 2 lbs higher. SIGH. Now when I look at the scale, even if it says 160, I known I'm really 162. It can be really disappointing. I would just wait until you lose the 5 lbs, honestly... but you may get discouraged not seeing your ticker go down even though you know you're losing.
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do what will help your motivation.....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I would leave your existing data alone and enter new weights based on your new scale... just make a mental note that you switched scales.

Remember... losing weight should not be your gosl, getting/being healthy should. You should be using the scale to watch trends over time, not as the singular guage of your success.
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    remember- its not a lie if you believe it!
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't pay that much attention to the numbers but if you weigh on the same scale all the time your weight loss will show up..:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    remember- its not a lie if you believe it!

Does that mean there is no true truth?! My whole reality is slipping away...

(just kidding)

I think I will wait to adjust MFP to when my new scale reflects the weight I've already entered. A personal (NSV?) victory, I suppose.

Thanks all!
  • jppizana
    jppizana Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would suggesting changing your ticker SW so that you have an "accurate" ticker or when you enter your weight on MFP, add /subtract the difference so that it is in trend with the previous measurements. For example, if your scale says you are 5lbs heavier then your last scale, measure yourself on the new scale and then subtract 5lbs from the measurement and enter into MFP.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    ok 1st, do you have a hand weight you can put on the scale to check it? Or anything that you know the weight of. like a family pack of meat or something. Now, you know your new scale is accurate. As for the ticker??? I personally do not record gains. BECAUSE when I lose the same X pounds as a loss. I do not want my MFP people cheering me on for weight i lost then gained then re lost. IF MFP posted a gain, then I would log the gain. Like, you gained 3 pounds this week. your total is plus 3 pounds. or whatever.