runners?

Options
2»

Replies

• KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm learning that I'm a good runner in my age group, which is really fun...Have jogged forever on and off, but entered my first race in years last (2010 May) and came in 2nd in my age group. Then didn't do any more races and, in fact, had to do the C25K to get back in shape (though I did each workout twice in a row) last summer. This spring I got inspired by a progressive marathon (7 races that add up to a marathon), and got a lot of trophies in the individual races. Now training for a half, maybe two, this fall. I'm inspired by the women in my age group and older who kick my butt! They are incredible!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    I just did my first 5k this past Saturday, 33:49. I was in the back of the pack, but in my eyes a major accomplishment. I did the Couch to 5K program and it is awesome. I literally went from not being able to jog down the street at the end of June to running a 5K. I now have the "bug" and will be running in 6 more in September and October. Next goal is a 10k by Spring 2012.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a casual runner turned marathoner. I ran my first race (10K) in 2008 and was hooked. Since then I've run 2-5 races per year, including my first marathon back in May of this year. Right now I'm training to run the Honolulu Marathon in December.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Started running 2 years ago.
    I've ran tons of 5k races, 8k, 10k and one half marathon. I am currently training for half marathons 2 and 3.
    5k PR 31:05
    10k - 1:10
    13.1 - 2:28
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've been running about 3 years, working in the occasional 5K during that time. I've only just gotten serious for only about the last 10 months or so and it's starting to show in my race times. Last 5K was a PR @27:05. Flat out, mile time trial (part of my company's Fitness Camp) was timed at 7:33. Hoping to get down into the 7:00 range this camp session.

This October my wife and I are running the Disney Wine and Dine Half-Marathon relay. She gets the first 4.8 miles and I get the last 8.3 miles (how's that a fair split?!) and I've gone and signed myself up for the Princess Half-Marathon in February. I'm following the Runner's World Coach App's plan for the relay and will probably use that to chart out my race in February, too. I figure once I get through all that, I'll decide if I like running that far, or if I'll just keep running for fitness and return to just 5K's with the occasional 10K thrown in there.
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i just started running about 6 months ago for weight loss purposes, but im going to do my first 5K on september 17 called the warrior dash in Tennessee...
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Noob here...but I'm trying hard to learn and become a decent runner. First 5K is in about 3 weeks!

Okay...feeling a bit out of place after reading all the posts, but that's okay...we all have to start somewhere, right? :)
    it's okay when I started I could not even run a mile in 12 min on the treadmill. =[ now I can run a mile in under 6 min :D !!! It's so much fun to see yourself improve. You guys will do great.

I guess I should add too that I'm still a pretty big guy...247 lbs today. I almost broke an 11 min mile for first time Saturday, then my tracking app froze up on my smartphone yesterday....I think I beat 11 mins, but I'm not sure. I'm sure once my weight is significantly less, my times will be significantly less too! Thanks for the encouragement! I love all my MFP friends!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Noob here...but I'm trying hard to learn and become a decent runner. First 5K is in about 3 weeks!

Okay...feeling a bit out of place after reading all the posts, but that's okay...we all have to start somewhere, right? :)

There is no reason to be intimidated, or feel out of place, but simply go forward. GOOD LUCK on the 5k! *caution* they can be addictive as my good bud Jilly Bean will tell you.....

We all start with a first step and a ton of heart, so keep at it and you can surprise yourself with where it will go. I was a total non-runner, tall and pudgy, and with a ton of miles and a bunch of friends have went farther and faster than my dreams ever could imagine. GOOD LUCK!!!!

[I'll edit... I started at 250 lbs, ended at 205 lbs, 16:45 5k PR, 3:07 marathon PR, and a whole bunch of other blah..blah..blah that isn't important. KEEP AT IT!!! It's amazing what is possible.]

Barbie... those are some darn good times too! GOOD LUCK too!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

There is no reason to be intimidated, or feel out of place, but simply go forward. GOOD LUCK on the 5k! *caution* they can be addictive as my good bud Jilly Bean will tell you.....

We all start with a first step and a ton of heart, so keep at it and you can surprise yourself with where it will go. I was a total non-runner, tall and pudgy, and with a ton of miles and a bunch of friends have went farther and faster than my dreams ever could imagine. GOOD LUCK!!!!

[I'll edit... I started at 250 lbs, ended at 205 lbs, 16:45 5k PR, 3:07 marathon PR, and a whole bunch of other blah..blah..blah that isn't important. KEEP AT IT!!! It's amazing what is possible.]

Barbie... those are some darn good times too! GOOD LUCK too!

Like Ray said, we all started where you started. Just do your best, whether that means running far, running fast or running for fun. Just figure out what you want to get out of it, and just do it! I think the most critical part of running (which is overlooked quite a bit) is being mentally strong...physically, I can run through just about anything, but the second my head quits on me, I'm done. I'm impressed by fellow runners who can run farther and faster than I can, but that doesn't make me doubt my own capabilities...and it shouldn't make you doubt yours!

I was a runner (and a soccer player) in high school, got my right foot/ankle injured 3 separate times and had to quit playing a few years ago. Turned back to running last February to prove that I could do run despite the injury setbacks, ran my first 5K in April 2010, and since then I've run 29 races (I believe17 of them have been 5Ks). I just love to run and the competitor in me loves to race. Have fun!
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started running in high school and ran on a college team for a couple years, but I never took it as seriously as I should have. All my PR's are in my sig and set back in college. I stopped running after I graduated college and got fat. This lasted about 10 years, then I decided to stop being fat and get back into shape. Started back running a couple years ago. Finally decided to get more focused on my training and see what I'm capable of. I'm always open to offering my opinion from what I've learned over the years.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Started running in grade school (circa 1986) with my first 10k at 14 (45:xx), and my first Half Marathon at 15 (1:34:xx). Have run countless races from 5ks to Half Marathons, triathlons up to Half Ironman distances, and an assortment of odd races (Ragnar Relay, Grand Canyon Double Crossing in 24 hrs, and so on).

I don't have a clue how many races I've done over the years. My PRs look like this:
    5K - 18:01
    10K - 39:59
    Half - 1:33:12

I don't run year-round and regularly fall out of running for a length of time, and having to start all over. Such is the case lately. After taking over a year off, and gaining 25lbs, I started over again at the end of May. In 12 weeks I've gone from 11:00mm back down to 7:00 mm. (5k)

I prefer trail running anymore, and don't sign up for the "popular" races. I like the odd races or really tough ones. I treasure those memories more than the big dollar races.
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I LOVE RUNNING! I kept trying to get into the london marathon as soon as I was old enough :happy: and finally ran it in 2009 and loved it! I have been running half marathons since I was 16 (am 28 now). I ran the medoc marathon in 2009 (a really cool fancy dress marathon in France where you drink wine on the way :noway: ). Sadly I got injured in 2010 and stopped running. I am not ashamed to admit that cried my eyes out when I got injured :sad: But I think my feet are fine now and so I am slowly building up my running fitness again. I hope to do a half marathon in Feb 2012. Fingers crossed I don't get injured again!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    New-ish runner here :smile:

Started on the C25K programme on 23rd May this year and found it to be amazing - like so many others here!

I run 4 or 5 times a week. I go out 2 or 3 times a week on my own in the early mornings before I go to work (so usually about a 3.5 mile run each time) and then on a Sat or Sun for a longer distance - I think about 6.5 miles is my longest so far. I also go out on a Tuesday evening with a local running club and the distances range from 4 up to 7 miles depending on what mood I'm in and how energetic I feel :smile:

Have done 2 5K races - not the fastest times in the world but I'm really pleased as before May I couldn't run if you were chasing me LOL.

5K in July - 28:46
    5K in August - 28:22

I'm now aiming to sign up for a 10K if I can find one near me!

I've definitely been bitten by the bug!!!!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am a very new runner, and I am hoping to run a 5k in October. I did the c25k up to week 6 and then just started running 5k 5 times a week 3 weeks ago. I am pretty slow and can only do it on the treadmill as it is way too hot here in the Middle East, but I really do love it and I hope to improve alot! I can't wait for it to cool down so i can get outside!!!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and I love it! I've only done 5K's so far but I'm signed up for an 8K in November. I'm not sure I'll every get to half marathons or anything but I'm completely addicted to the races. It's something my whole family does so it's even more fun. :)