New job cause for plateau?

Options
Hoping to get some advice... I just started a new job two weeks ago and ever since then my weight loss is stalled. I'm still getting in my exercise of 150 minutes a week mixing between running and 30 day shred. I'm not sure if I am eating enough calories... The reason I think that is when I was unemployed I was sedentary though I marked it as lightly active. Now that I'm working, I'm walking 3-5 miles during my job.

I'm wondering if I should manually up my calories, or see if my body adjusts to this change on its own? Anyone else go through the same thing?

Replies

• kypin00
    kypin00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Plateau is very common in weight loss, the hard part is pushing through this period and getting back to losing weight. If you are doing strength training and running then keep in mind that any exercise you are doing is turning fat into muscle, so you should not just be looking at the scale, but in the mirror also. Losing weight is nice, but if you notice you've lost 2 inches in your waist (as an example) but weigh the same, you're probably doing fine.

you're probably fine as far as calories on this site if you marked lightly active already, then if you are entering your exercise, your caloric intake will adjust automatically, so then you have the choice of eating the extra calories you burned off, or leaving them. Being fairly active myself, I'm eating some, but not all, my calories I burn so I can still stay on track for a 2 lb loss per week.

Most importantly, I'm trying to increase my Iron as I live in arizona and you sweat out iron when you run so increasing this should (in theory) help staive of fetigue.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I find emotions and other things can cause problems as well.
    Being Stressed Can cause a plateau or ate least it does for me.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think it might be. I just started a new job 3 weeks ago. My body was so used to drinking water all day long, but now (since I teach) I can not pee when I want, so I have to plan it for my break. Which means I don't drink as much during the day. I still got all my water in after work, but my weight loss slowed. I made some adjustments to add more water before 4pm and my weight started to move again.

Hopefully your body will adjust and things will start moving for you again. Good luck!
  • merry2widow
    Options
    I too seem to have hit a plateau. I have been at this with the walking gardening, cleaning and some weights for almost 3 months. I have lost 32 lbs. I wait on tables for a living. I also end up walking about 3-5 miles a shift. I have a difficult time eating enough food for 1500 cal a day while I am working. I generally do not get a break to eat lunch or dinner when I work doubles straight through ( 11 am to 10 pm. ) If I do eat. it is usually standing up taking a bite here and there between going back and forth to my tables. What do you suggest I do to get my calories while I am working a long shift?