Couch 2 5K

Options
Okay, so I'm on week 4 of C25K and I've hit a wall I think. I did week 3 six times over the last 2 weeks because I was scared to move on to week 4. I was still struggling through the second 3 minute run, so how in the world was I going to run for 5 minutes???

Anyway...I pushed myself onto week 4 today. I made it through the first 3 min run, ran for the full 5 min on the second one (yay me!) then did the 3rd run of 3 minutes. On the 4th run, I had to stop between 2 1/2 and 3 minutes - I couldn't do the full 5 minutes. I was dying (or at least felt like it). Bad cramp in my side. I try to breath deeply, but I have asthma so it's hard when I work out.

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow and even if I can't do both 5 minute runs, at least I'll get a little closer I hope. Did anyone else have trouble in a particular week? Just wondering if this is normal.

Replies

• asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am only on week 2 and I can barely make it the 90 seconds! I would say you are doing great - let your body tell you when it's ready to move on to the next level. Trying is better than not doing it at all!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling like you're dying, you're running too fast. Slow your pace a little and get through the whole thing. Trust me, it's learning to run first, THEN you gain speed. It's not a race right now, just building up your running times and stamina. SLOW DOWN!!!!! Not to a walk, just a slower tempo.

Personally I never had to repeat a week, or even a day, but I was on a mission!!!! Hopefully you've already signed up for an event, if not I recommend you do it soon so you have a goal and won't allow yourself to slack off. Plus, they are SO much fun!!!!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had a wicked hard time on week 4 also. I just started week 5 today, and I found it to be easier! I think its easier for me because there are longer walk "breaks" between each set. Just stick with it and push thru. You can do this! :smile:
  • carolynnjoy
    Options
    go at a slower pace for the last part. it also helped me to get off the treadmill because i could more easily change my pace. go for time not speed. i started couch to 5k in april and got so comfortable running at a nice steady pace i kept adding more time each week and just finished a half marathon. but my key was slow and steady you hit a point where your body just feels comfortable.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Oh, HELL yes. I'm on week 6. There are weeks I flew through like I'd been running forever, and weeks I stayed on for, well, weeks. The key is to not push yourself too hard. I did and faced a knee injury. My orthopedist told me he preferred if I didn't run until I lost more weight - it was too much on my knees. I explained that the running is essential to the losing weight part, so we struck a deal. I don't run 6 or 7 days a week any more. I do find that the off days help. I still walk on my rest days.

I can run 10 minutes at a time now. I remember the first days like they were yesterday...trying to run for a minute and dying at 45 seconds. I couldn't imagine running 2 or 3 minutes. But it does happen. If you keep at it, it happens.

Keep up the good work - you're worth it!
  • jillybean18353
    Options
    I tried the Couch 2 5K and lost got lazy before I could even get passed week two. I'm planning on starting it again and am definitely not looking forward to reaching week four. But I see nothing wrong with not being able to complete the set. Each day you run just try to run maybe 10 seconds longer or at least maintain the same time you had the day before. Obviously I'm not a runner, but that's the advice I'd give myself.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Same advice as above - definitely slow down! Even to the point where you think you are the slowest jogger on the planet! Except you won't be, because that is me, lol!

Note - I'm not an expert (obviously, lol) but this is what helped me go from hurting/dying to really making advances:

Have a look at how you are running. It is a different landing than walking. Make sure you are landing more on the ball/flat part of your foot.
    Think "light". Light on your feet.

When I first started c25k I pushed myself far too hard and fast, and actually tore a muscle in my hip. Went to one month of physio, and with the advice from them - slowing down and the change in how I landed on my feet, I am now making huge strides.

You can do it - keep going!!!!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    I just completed the program and ran my first 5k last Saturday. Everyone that has commented is correct. SLOW DOWN. Speed doesn't matter. It's all about the accomplishment.
  • Lysslie
    Lysslie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've done the Couch 2 5k program a couple of times. Last summer I was running for 25-28 minutes (2.5 miles) and then sprained both my ankles so I took a few months off. When I started again, I started at week 4 and it's taken me a really long time to build back up. I agree with the taking days off recommendation. Your body/muscles need a chance to recover. I also found it helped me to really watch what I ate/drank before I ran and what time of day. For me it's best first thing in the morning with just a granola bar or about an hour after lunch. I found I got more sideaches when I had a lot of water (especially cold water) before and during the run or had just eaten dairy products like cereal or yogurt. I've also slowed down/decreased my incline when there were longer runs/repeats I had to get through. Or taking short breaks in the middle of a second/third run, but making sure I pause the C25k app so that I still have to run as long, but get a little breather.
    It's a great program and nicely tailored to your own needs. I've had weeks where I thought I was going to cry for joy in front of everyone at the gym just because I finished it. It's very empowering and good for the self-esteem! Keep it up, it's worth it!!
  • Joshnae
    Joshnae Posts: 5
    Options
    I am supposed to start week 4 this week and it is freaking me out too. I have been doing it on the treadmill and feel like dying whenever I get to the end of my 3 minutes. Hoping to get my run in tomorrow and will most definitely be going at a shorter pace.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 8 of C25K and let me tell you that Week 4 was my hardest. Even now I do not run as fast as the distance would indicate. I have used the times instead. First start your runs slow and easy once you feel comfortable you can ease into a little faster pace but save some steam till the end.

This is important: The side cramps are most likely caused by shallow breathing. Breath slower and a bit more deeply. This will not only help your cramps but help you make it through your minutes. Side cramps are usually caused by pressure bouncing on the diaphram. Breathing is key - if they are on the right make sure you are exhaling when you are lifting your left leg instead of the right. That is where the deeper breathing comes in. On Week four I did the runs but I walked a bit longer between the 1st time through. I could tell I just wasn't ready to start back into the runs. I did Week 4 in 4 days instead of 3. After you get past Week 5 day 3 it is somehow much easier.

As everyone is telling slow down, listen to your body. You do not have to run a certain way. You are learning to run the way you were meant to run not the way anyone else runs. Find your own stride and enjoy. This non runner hated running is really falling in love with it. My family is not known for their lungs. If I can do it I am sure you can.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 8 of C25K and let me tell you that Week 4 was my hardest. Even now I do not run as fast as the distance would indicate. I have used the times instead. First start your runs slow and easy once you feel comfortable you can ease into a little faster pace but save some steam till the end.

This is important: The side cramps are most likely caused by shallow breathing. Breath slower and a bit more deeply. This will not only help your cramps but help you make it through your minutes. Side cramps are usually caused by pressure bouncing on the diaphram. Breathing is key - if they are on the right make sure you are exhaling when you are lifting your left leg instead of the right. That is where the deeper breathing comes in. On Week four I did the runs but I walked a bit longer between the 1st time through. I could tell I just wasn't ready to start back into the runs. I did Week 4 in 4 days instead of 3. After you get past Week 5 day 3 it is somehow much easier.

As everyone is telling slow down, listen to your body. You do not have to run a certain way. You are learning to run the way you were meant to run not the way anyone else runs. Find your own stride and enjoy. This non runner hated running is really falling in love with it. My family is not known for their lungs. If I can do it I am sure you can.
  • Pixie0704
    Options
    I am starting this today! I am looking to lose the baby weight! I am also doing the 30 days shred and wanted to add in some cardio as well and I tried jogging yesterday and it was tough! so I think this program will help me ease into it! Plus it's only 3 days a week which is awesome!! So many times I start to work out after not working out for a while and I jump into it too fast and then I get burned out real fast....I need something that I will stick to for life!! This is a great place to start!

I am looking to look 25 lbs!! My days will be Tuesday's, Thursday's, and Saturday's!!
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 1 day 2 and love it! I found some great c25k pod-casts on iTunes that have great music. I don't want to be carrying my phone while i'm running. Too distracting. It is really hard on my knees so my doc suggested doing the program on a treadmill first then a second time outside. I don't really care where i am as long as i'm running. I cant believe i'm actually doing it! I've always dreamed of being a runner and think i've finally lost enough ( 30lbs) to give it a go. Good luck everyone!
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice an encouragement.

I went back out there today (yes, I know I'm supposed to take a day off, but I find doing back to back days really helps me). I have C25K podcasts I download on my Ipod. So, I decided to try a different one today to see if I like the music on it better. Well I start walking and the podcast tells me we will be doing 4 minute intervals. Yesterday the one I did was a 5 min interval then a 3 minute interval, then repeat. So I figured, whats the difference, 4 minutes may even help me ease in and either way it will be 16 full minutes of running. Well, I made it through the 4 intervals of 4 minutes (I had to add in extra minute of walking between two of them because it was only a 60sec walk) and guess what - there was was 5th 4 min interval - AND I DID IT! Yes, that's right, I did 20 minutes of running with no more than 2 minutes in between each interval, and sometimes only a minute.

I did slow down and really concentrated on my breathing. I also knew that I wanted to write this post saying I did 20 minutes and that helped me to push myself.

So thanks again everyone! See - all your encouragement really helps!!!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Congrats. I was at that stage a little over a month ago, and I remember how proud I was. I just did 4 miles for the first time today, and it's the same feeling so it doesn't go away. Keep up the great work!!
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do the NHS couch to 5k podcast on Itunes. Love that British lady. Lol.