traveler in need of food ideas

Options
Long story short I am an over the road truck driver that is desperite to lose weight. I have a small fridge in my truck but no microwave. I pretty much live on sandwiches and need new ideas for things that I can take on the road with me to help me lose the weight. I am thinking about getting a microwave so I canchange things up and give myself more options.

What are some of your favorite foods that you would take with you if you were in my shoes and only had a little fridge

Replies

• Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    There are things you can do :) And I have been in your shoes. My husband use to drive. I know how hard it can be! How long are you usually out at a time? You could prepare some meals to take with you. Friend me if you want :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of fresh fruit that you could keep that wouldn't need to be refrigerated. I'd also recommend nuts/trail mix in ziplock baggies for snacks. For protein I particularly like Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh meats. They are only 50 calories for 51g (about six slices).

I know you asked for foods you could bring with, but have you tried the Jimmy John's unwiches? Instead of bread they make the sandwich on iceberg lettuce leaves like a burrito. If you drop the cheese, mayo, & dressing, add all of the veggies, mustard, & hot peppers several of them are under 200 calories and pretty filling.

Good luck!
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    Helloo if you're a blood type o then i don't recommend this food (to avoid conditions and speed up the weight loss) you can have canned kidney beans i know it contains sugar and sodium mostly but if you rinse the sauce it will decrease it a lot (i read this dont worry ) kidney beans are a great source of protein and are healthy. You can also get hummus prepare it then take it with you with brown pita bread or whole grain... and it's great with vegetables (which can last a few days especially in your ffridge)... i would recommend that you invest in a water boiler so that when you freeze vegetables like frozen peas and carrots, you can just easily boil them and have them (their nutrients are packed in cuz theyr frozen)

- you can have tuna canned/sardine.
    -fruits and vegetables mostly
    -NUTS!! especially almonds 7 calories each and are perfect snacks.NOT salted
    -instant oatmeal (again with the water boiler investment) instead of milk.
    -bananas with oatmeal are great too...
    you need protein thats why i suggested a lot up there since carbs are easy to find theyr in vegetables and fruits actually.
    -honey is great have a tsp a day 28 calories and satisfies sweet tooth
    -zuccchini boil and top it with italian herbs or salt. veryy filling and very low calories.
    -well thats it for now!!! but if u are overweight i would recommend drinking lotsss of water around 2-2.5 litres AT LEAST you can lose a pound if you have a normal caloric intake and do that for a weeek.
    -
    -
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Debbles I am usually gone for 2 to 3 weeks at a time just depends
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    You could always do cold oatmeal. Mix in a container with a lid before you go to sleep.. I add 2 tsp of brown sugar and some cinnamon. Mix well then put in fridge. By the time you get up it'll be done. Throw in some strawberries or blueberries and a yummy breakfast.
  • suggagina
    suggagina Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Traveler, try keeping plenty of tuna on hand. And Im in Love with the Birdseye steamer vegetables, dry milk you can mix per servings and low fat cereal. Apples and oranges keep well. Hope that helps