How to handle a planned 'pig out'

So I have gradually been moving all my families eating habits to organic, home made, clean eating, plant based (although we eat meat). Now I am using myfitnesspal to help me track calories and lose some weight. I have been reading much about the importance of eating balanced meals regularly and this really makes sense to me.

My question is about my biggest weakness - sushi. I have done some research and my favorite meal is about 800 calories. I am aiming for 1200 on a non gym day and 1400 on a gym day. This means that Sushi will be over half of my whole days calories! My old instinct would be to starve and then pig out, but I am sure that is not the smartest thing to do for long term health and weight loss.

I only do this once per month, but I don't want to derail my progress......and this monthly treat is not one I can give up!

Any pointers?

Replies

• nomerebutterfly
    nomerebutterfly Posts: 62 Member
    Do it. Just do it. In fact, a once weekly or bi-weekly "over" day could potentially trick your metabolism into not slowing down quite so much.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Honestly, I say eat your sushi once a month, and don't worry about going over that day. I've found that if I allow myself one "cheat meal" once in a while, it shakes up my metabolism and the next day the scale actually moves down!! :) Try it and see how it works for you!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    If you only do it once a month, you should have no fears. Just don't do it every day, and make sure you keep working out.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    I wouldn't worry if it's a once a month thing. You're not exactly talking about junk food with your splurge. My wife and I are preparing for one of our favorite annual events which is a rib cook-off. We'll be there for two days, we won't be recording calories for while we're there, but everything else (exercise and our other meals) will be business as usual. In this way it won't have any long-term negative consequences because it will be a splurge, not the weekly norm. :smile:
  • AmyS79
    AmyS79 Posts: 65
    I dont believe once a month is gonns wrack anything you have done I beleve in the 90 /10 rule. th ere are just foods that may not be the best for us to eat everyday but once in awhile I believe will not hurt.. so i say enjoy your sushi once a month...
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Modify your favorite meal. Eat only half of it, split something lower calorie, or find a new favorite! You never know!

But I agree, one time over calories a smidge won't derail your progress. Just don't make it something you do often.
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    I agree with the rest. As vices go, sushi is not a bad one. Eat some sushi and feel good about what you are doing for you and your family
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    This "new way of eating" is a lifestyle and it sounds like part of yours is going out for sushi once per month. Really, what impact will it have if you look at the big picture? Little to none. Do it, enjoy it and pick up your regular routine the next day.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Oh Hurray!

Thank you all for your posts - I will be thinking of you fondly while I salivate disgustingly over a plate of raw fish!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Counter with exercise and reduced calories at your other meals.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Great answers here
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Once a month is nothing. Go and enjoy. By-the-way...I absolutely love sushi.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Do it! Make sure you eat other food during the day, and drink water, If you are worried about calories, up your exercise some, but going out for that type of a treat is definitely a healthy thing, and will not impact you negatively!!!

Take care, and enjoy!!!!!

Shari