So...I wonder...

Options
Anyone else have a really bad, negative internal dialogue? I always ask myself this when I start to beat myself up with negative comments about my body:

If you had a friend who spoke to you the in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend?

This helps...sometimes.

Replies

• Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have never thought of it in that way, thanks for posting.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to what the mean voices tell you
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I'm horrible to myself. I would never speak to anyone else the way I talk to myself, and I certainly wouldn't be a friend to someone who called me a fat, lazy pig every day.

It's a really bad habit that I'm trying to break, because being hard on myself wastes a lot of energy. And it's a little counterproductive too. So yes, I understand.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to what the mean voices tell you

HA HA! Sometimes, the other voices tell her to shut up. :wink:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i seriously have the most Bi polar body image. somtimes I look in the mirror and i'm like "you're hot"... other times I'm like "whoaaaaa... gut is hanging out... why do you have to eat so much"... "you're such a cow". etc..
    but I would not be my own friend lol that's for sure
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    if i had a friend who talked the way my inner self critic talks to me, i would not be their friend/put myself within 100 yards of that person.

...oh wait, i see what you did there
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Anyone else have a really bad, negative internal dialogue? I always ask myself this when I start to beat myself up with negative comments about my body:

If you had a friend who spoke to you the in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend?

This helps...sometimes.

You are a gorgeous and I bet very kind woman. Don't be so hard on yourself but cast doubt aside and be the warrior that you were created to be. Smooches gorgeosu darlin!
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    yes
    and it's worried those who love me.

I pulled something pretty badly, and cannot workout tomorrow.

My body image is telling me I need to go and just do weights.

And I"m in an argument about it.

And yes, if anybody talked the way I talk about myself and think about myself I'd hurt em! lol
  • Sasssy69
    Options
    if i had a friend who talked the way my inner self critic talks to me, i would not be their friend/put myself within 100 yards of that person.

...oh wait, i see what you did there

I'm sneaky like that.
  • BerkeleyMama
    Options
    Funny topic. I often say "stop being mean to my friend........" to whoever is being hard on themselves. It's become part of my language when I am working through something with a friend who is sitting in judgement of themselves. Because I say it so often to others, it's starting to actually stick when I catch myself doing the same thing!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    i seriously have the most Bi polar body image. somtimes I look in the mirror and i'm like "you're hot"... other times I'm like "whoaaaaa... gut is hanging out... why do you have to eat so much"... "you're such a cow". etc..

Damn, B - there's no hope for someone like me, then. :( You're stunning. Stop telling yourself that RIGHT NOW!
  • Sasssy69
    Options
    Funny topic. I often say "stop being mean to my friend........" to whoever is being hard on themselves. It's become part of my language when I am working through something with a friend who is sitting in judgement of themselves. Because I say it so often to others, it's starting to actually stick when I catch myself doing the same thing!

OHHHH....I love this. I'm going to start using it!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    This is one of the things I need to work on. I have such a horribly negative self-image when I'm in a bad mood or feeling down.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Damn, B - there's no hope for someone like me, then. :( You're stunning. Stop telling yourself that RIGHT NOW!

i try to kill it, but it's still there :o
  • Sasssy69
    Options
    I think it's one of those things that no matter what you look like, sometimes it's never good enough. I see myself naked and I think "YOU ARE SO GROSS. What a disgusting pig. No one will ever love you." I mean, really - what a horrible thing to say. I would never allow anyone to talk to me like this. If someone did, I'd deliver a throat punch immediately.

But we do it to ourselves all the time. I guess that's why this site is so good for us all. :-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Its a really slippery slope for me... i miss a work out or just have a bad day then i start eating to feel better, which makes me feel worse, so i eat more... etc etc.

For me they key is to keep busy so i dont get thinking about how i look or how my clothes fit. If i can keep myself distracted then ive got a much better chance to avoid the inner arguements.