Cut back or cold turkey??

So my one bad habit is Dr. Pepper. I love the stuff. and i know if i want to lose some weight i need to cut it out. I usually keep my intake to one 20oz bottle a day unless we go out to eat, then all bets are off :ohwell: . It's my only form of caffeine....... At the moment since i started using MFP i've cut back to every other day. I don't know if i can go cold turkey........ i can give it a shot, but i don't know if my hubby will be very happy with me and my lack of caffeine.......:glasses:

Replies

• Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Can you drink diet and slowly wean yourself off? The caffeine withdraw is going to hurt!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Is it the sugar or the caffeine? I looks like you said normal Dr. Pepper. Might I suggest if it's the caffeine that you go for coffee with Stevia? If it's the fizziness I would suggest La Croix for home or seltzer water at a restaurant.

I had this issue with Diet Pop and have successfully weaned myself off of it. Now I'm working on getting rid of the artificial sweeteners.

Good luck!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I would say cut back slowly. I got really bad headaches when I went cold turkey with the caffeine (coffee). Excedrine worked but I gotta have it and coffee does help with weight loss.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    try diet
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 203 Member
    I understand....I switched from regular to diet years ago and then just this year struggled to cut out the diet. Diet Dr. Pepper was always my favorite! But I have not banned it completely. Diet soda is now like treat for me. I treat it like having a piece of chocolate (carefully planned and portioned)

I did not go cold turkey completely, I stopped soda but switched to diet green tea to still get the caffeine but now I've moved on to primarily drink water . It was a pretty gradual transition for me.
  • Also a Dr Pepper junkie! Havent stopped altogether yet... But it's not really worth all the calories and carbs to me. I think it's more of a taste thing with me than the caffiene since in the past I have switched to caffiene free sodas and not had a problem but I alwas go back to my Dr Pepper! When people say the diet taste just like the regular I think they must not have taste buds, lol. Sorry I realize this is not helpful but I love my Dr Pepper so.I think I bottle every other day is a good start, I would take it slow, sudden caffiene withdrawl can give you headaches and such. Best Luck!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Diet cola junkie - I've pushed myself back to one 12 oz can a day, and I replaced the rest of my caffeine neediness with iced tea (unsweetened). Sure, it has caffeine, but it's probably better for me than cola. IDK, maybe that would help if it's the caffeine that's getting you?

Caffeine addictions are HARD. I feel your pain.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    i'm an all or nothing kind of girl, and i say go cold turkey. if you've already reduced your use to alternate days, then you're not that far away from stopping really. so just stop if you want to. if you really like it though, have it as a treat but in moderation (like a can every now and then rather than a massive bottle).
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    It's totally the taste and caffeine. I don't do coffee, ever. I can't stand the taste of Diet, of any kind. It's pretty much the ONLY soda i will drink. On occasion if i can't have my DrP, i'll do pepsi (bleh) or a grape soda. So far, every other day doesn't seem too bad... no headaches yet, but i am a little more tired, lol.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    can you maybe buy a large bottle of DrPepper and pour it into an 8, 12, or 16 ounce container? that way you can start limiting yourself?

and get used to the taste of diet. you'll be used to it in a week.
  • Your so close to being off it. I was drinking about 8-10 cans of diet coke a day and stopped cold turkey. First week was hard, I drank tons of water and popped some motrin for that first week to combat withdraw headaches and i was fine. Haven't had one since and it's been 2 months :-)
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    I cut soda out of my diet completely. If I want a soda I drink water or juice. If I'm at work or somewhere and soda is my only option I'll drink it. When I'm in that situation I prefer Sprite or Sprite Zero that way its low on caffeine and carbs.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    I was a pepsi junkie..like 7-8 a day! the first thing I did was cut down to one a day...then I started mixing 75% regular pepsi with 25% diet...then went to 50-50 then 25-75 and then all diet...gave my taste buds a chance to get used to it. I haven't had a regular pepsi in 3 weeks....only had one diet pepsi in the past 10 days!

Didn't keep it in the house either...made myself go to store and buy it every day!