Sleep and Its Factor in Weight Loss

Options
Like a good girl, I searched the previous topics posted, but I didn't find anything I liked. So, I've got to ask, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Additionally, how does the amount of sleep you get help or hinder your goals?

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Most would say its a "big" part to get enough sleep however I beg to differ. The reason why I say this is because I started off with very little sleep because I had twins back in January. I understand how tough it is to get 2-6 hours a night at a time and still the weight dropped because I stuck to eating right and exercising when I could. After losing 81 pounds I can say that it didn't have an affect on me and now its been much better with sleep. I get about 6-7 hours instead and workout 6 days a week. I hope that I can get more eventually but its been fine so far :drinker:
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I think it's a definite factor. On the weeks where I'm running myself ragged and lucky to get 4-5 hours sleep my weight loss is minimal even though I'm doing everything else 'right'. When I'm able to get a full night's sleep for several days my weight loss picks up and my mood does too.

As for how much, they say 8 hours for adults but it really varies. I had a week where I was able to sleep as late as I wanted and found 8.5 hours seems to be my magic number. I'll wake up naturally around then unless my sleep was interrupted. I have a friend who has to get 10 or she's not worth anything and another who seems full of energy on 5 (and she doesn't even drink coffee or take other stimulants).
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble sleeping :(

From what I've read the answer could depend on what you do. Weight training really needs rem sleep to properly recover (from a book, practical programming). Also, now that I'm having trouble sleeping, I don't have as much energy for workouts, so my burns are much lower. So I would say for me there is a pretty big difference between 4 hours of sleep and 8.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Sleep is a definite factor in my weight loss. I always lose less on the weeks I am running like a crazy person and not sleeping well.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. Some people are able to stick with what they're doing to try and lose weight, but others make bad food decisions when they are tired because they don't want to cook or might not want to work out.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You should get 8 hours :)
    Im actually doing my PT Course and I had a multiple choice question in an exam about metabolism and weightloss and I circled sleep and failed that question. The answer was coffee, i think the question was something about helping to lose weight. So i'm taking that as appropriate food, water & coffee are big helpers lol
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I notice working out has helped me sleep better, whereas before I didn't rest that well. That doesn't answer your question, but I think it shows there's a correlation between the two. With all due respect to the new mom (terrific job, btw), I think we can't really compare ourselves to a woman who's just had a baby due to all the different hormonal and metabolic factors affecting the body. I also think age plays a role in sleep needs as well. So, it is, as often the case, very individual.
  • darhp758
    darhp758 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There has been studies that have found a link between lack of sleep and weight gain. The hunger chemical is increased when
    you don't get enough sleep and the chemical that tells your brain that you are full is decreased when you are sleep deprived. I
    have noticed when I don't get enough sleep that I have a hard time with controlling my hunger. I try to get at least 7 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep a night and usually don't have problems when I do.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I sleep at least 8 hours a night. I think it's very important to weight loss, because personally, if I don't get enough sleep, I sleep in. If I sleep in, I don't exercise before breakfast. If I sleep in, I usually buy breakfast at work rather than have a healthy breakfast at home. If I start the day off bad...it usually doesn't improve to the next day. There is some science behind too little or too much sleep effecting weight loss....but I forget! haha
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    I know for a fact that not sleeping enough can affect your bodies ability to tell the brain when its full causing overeating, and of course stress lowers metabolism and there are few things as stressful as trying to have a productive day when your crabby and tired.

I personally get 7 a day, but I like to take naps sometimes. When I was lifting weight for power(like 80% or more of my max) and I was always sore I would sleep almost 10 a night.

I think it can't be understated how important sleep is actually, your body heals best during sleep and with all the wear and tear exercising causes you need adequate sleep.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I know that you can't eat and sleep at the same time so sleep is king!! :p

But seriously, the week that I lost the most is also the week I took almost daily naps. For some people it really helps. Might be something to do with extra sleep and its effects on hormones..
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I think it is a everyone is different topic. I really feel like I NEED 20 hours of sleep a day lol, I usually get about 8. My husband goes to bed at about 11 and has to be at work at about 5:45 and it never fazes him. I would think if you are tired all time you should get more sleep.
  • junebug1010
    junebug1010 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

There is a lot of literature out there regarding this issue.
    And, there appears to be a direct correlation between sleep deprivation and weight gain.
    Although each of us may require a different amount of sleep each night (varies from person to person), if you do not get "your" required amount, eventually it will affect your hormone levels, thus, possibly leading to weight gain.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm not working right now so I let my body dictate when to get up. (Unless my cat wants to get me up to fill his bowl, then he gently paws me in the mouth until I get out of bed.) It seems my body is very happy with 8.5 hours of sleep. If it's rainy and I roll over for more zzz's, I feel like crap most of the day.

I have yet to connect sleep's role in my weight loss, but I have read that not enough sleep can hinder weight loss. And oddly, too much sleep increases your risk of death, according to research.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

There is a lot of literature out there regarding this issue.
    And, there appears to be a direct correlation between sleep deprivation and weight gain.
    Although each of us may require a different amount of sleep each night (varies from person to person), if you do not get "your" required amount, eventually it will affect your hormone levels, thus, possibly leading to weight gain.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Also, thank you for the great Web MD aticle. Maybe I will work a little bit harder to make sure I get my eight hours in. :)