Replies

• rebshu85
    rebshu85 Posts: 11
    Options
    bump
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I'm rite there with you. I used to NEVER drink water, ever. not kidding. Now i have a bottle that holds 3 cups and now that i live in FL, water is definetely important. I take that thing everywhere with me and try to drink atleast 3 of them a day if not more, even though i hate the taste of water. Ick. And i have yet to find a flavor to put in my water that doesn't have an aftertaste. For me though, i find myself drinking the most when i'm starting to get hungry and know i shouldn't be eating because drinking water is supposed to help with hunger, lol.
  • johanna_elaine
    Options
    I have a rule : if I'm at work I can only have water. I work next to subway so I get a 40oz cup and it's free refills with water.
  • johanna_elaine
    Options
    I have a rule : if I'm at work I can only have water. I work next to subway so I get a 40oz cup and it's free refills with water.
  • MyNewLeaf
    Options
    A few things:

1/ 1 to 2 cups of water upon first waking, every day no matter what. Pee first if you have to, otherwise do water first. Keep it by your bed if you need the reminder. If you have a screaming kid to attend to, chug your water as you jump out of bed.

2/ Juice Jar
    I have a busy, erratic schedule, with lots of details to manage. It's much easier for me to carry around a 32ounce juice jar filled with water. Then I don't have to wonder if I tallied my water correctly. At minimum, I have to get through two jars a day. We shoudl be drinking much more in summer, but if at minimum we get through 8 cups, it's better than nothing. The jar is a little large and not gorgeous, but I quickly got used to it.

**I know what you mean about kids. I frequently have to manage 2 to 4 kids' snacks, meals, sippy cups, along with all I need for myself. It can be overwhelming. If they get a sippy cup, you get a grownup version too.

3/. Make it a family habit that no meals get eaten until a cup of water is drunk. This helps prevent everyone from overeating, as the water takes up a little space in there. When possible, drink water before snacks too. This habit is not only good for you, but is good for your children too - many kids are so engaged with their daily fun, they forget to drink and eat,. or simply don't want to pause the fun.

4/ You're going to pee a lot more when you first increase your water intake. Eventually you adjust and don't have to pee every hour, along with that cup of water you're trying to drink every hour. So don't lose hope if you're peeing constantly in the beginning. Your poor body is just anxious to flush out those toxins it's been storing up.

5/ SPA WATER! For those of us who don't always love the taste of water, make spa water and keep in the fridge. It's good for you! It cleanses your organs. Squeeze a lemon or lime into a pitcher or jar of water, then drop the lemon in. Cut up cucumbers into relatively large chunks (in half once lengthwise and widthwise). Drop the cucumber in. Add the water last because the food takes up a lot of space! You can use both the citrus and the cuke, or just one of them. Let them infuse the water for at least 20 minutes, but longer is better. Keep refilling the water but leave the old cuke / citrus in. To save $, stretch it for a couple days without replacing the lemon/cuke and making it anew. I change it out when my water lemons start to smell funny. This way, you're getting no artificial sweeteners, just an infusion of the foods, and your water is cold and tastier. You can also put fresh mint or parsley sprigs in the top of your pitcher if you grow them (both are easier than ever to grow in a pot). They add a nice delicate flavor as well. Some people even use celery in their spa water. I'm not as fond of that one, but once in awhile i do.

6/ Another habit to make is to drink after you pee. Out with the old and in with the new!

7/ RED TEA and PINK WATER! Another fun thing, that kids love too, is to make hibiscus tea (or you can use red zinger or any red tea your store sells, since it's all caffeine free and okay for kids). Hibiscus tea is good for health. It's a little cranberry tasting. if your kids require no tart taste, just water it down to a pale pink, leave it plain and call it "pink water". Incidentally, hibiscus has vitamin C and is good for fevers, coughs and colds. I like it as a regular part of a child's life. Kids soon crave it. if you can drink this tea straight without sweetener, or as iced tea, it'll help you get in more healthy liquids daily without adding to your calories.