Runners - 5K or Half Marathon?

Options
I've been running anywhere between 2.6 to 5 miles a day 6 to 7 days a week... and think it's time to sign up for a race... so question is... do I start small like a 5k or go directly to a half marathon?

There is a half coming up in a month. Is that enough time to train for it? Is what I'm doing enough training or should I step up the run - distance wise for the half?

or

If I do a 5k - which I think I could do pretty easily...

Suggestions, do it... don't do it?

L.

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm....yeah you need more than a month to train for a half. Google Hal Higdon's Half-Marathon training plan. One of the best starter plans. Takes about 3 months to train up to.
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I ditto that you need more time, but still put my vote in for a half-marathon. Just finished my first one last weekend and it was great! You can always sign up for a 5 or 10K along the way as part of your training for the half! :) I also ditto Hal Higdon's website - very helpful. Good job on the running so far!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Look for a 10K, if you can find one. That's going to be my first race since I'm already doing 5K on a pretty regular basis, too.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've been running anywhere between 2.6 to 5 miles a day 6 to 7 days a week... and think it's time to sign up for a race... so question is... do I start small like a 5k or go directly to a half marathon?

There is a half coming up in a month. Is that enough time to train for it? Is what I'm doing enough training or should I step up the run - distance wise for the half?

or

L.

uhh... what is the farthest you've run up to this date?
  • lgallagher82
    Options
    I'd say you probably need a little more time but I don't think you need 12 weeks. 12 week plans start at running 2 or 3 miles up to maybe 6 miles in one day for the "long run". It sounds like that would be way less than what you are already running. I wouldn't bother with the 5K. I agree, do a 10K or find a half a little bit further out and train for that. Or just push yourself! If you can really run 6 miles several days a week, I think you could run a half in a month. If you're committed.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

or

L.

uhh... what is the farthest you've run up to this date?

also.. your training is kind of 5k training. I run 5k and 6k for college cross country, and we usually do longer distances for practice than what you are doing. I would not suggest s half if you have never run more than 8 miles..
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been running pretty consistently forth last 5-6 months. Ive run a few 5ks over the years, and a couple tris. I am now training for my first half the first weekend in Nov. I'm using a modified Hal Higdon plan. It is kind of a mix of the novice and intermediate plans, since I've never run a lot of distance. I had 13 weeks to train when I started, and let me tell you, this plan is kicking my azz! Give yourself some time. At least 2 months IMO....
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    I would agree that you need more time to train for a half marathon. It is great that you are excited and thinking big, but you want to be able to run well and without injury (so you can keep running!!).

In addition, if you are training for a race (or even in general) I strongly recommend not running every day. Getting strength and flexibility exercises in as part of a regular routine is great for runners and you need a break in between hard core training runs to be able to give the workouts your best.

I would start with the 5K (more than one if possible), move on to a 10K and then up to a half marathon. Before running the half I would look at some training programs that are used and rated by runners and select one that works for you. Also plan on a rest day after the run with no strenuous exercise, just stretching and walking.

Wonderful ambitions and the best of luck to you!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Find a half marathon about 8 - 10 weeks out. Then add in a 5K and 10K along the way.

Another vote for Higdon as a training program.

I've work on more miles in fewer days as well.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I thought a half was a little ambitious! But a runner friend of mine is trying to talk me into a half.

The longest I've run was 8 miles but that was a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the input!!!! And I'll keep running.

L
  • fishgirlnola
    fishgirlnola Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Find a half marathon about 8 - 10 weeks out. Then add in a 5K and 10K along the way.

Another vote for Higdon as a training program.

I've work on more miles in fewer days as well.

This is very good advice. Sign up for 5K and 10K as your training. If you need to challenge yourself with the 5K go for your fastest time for the race. Gook luck your doing great! You are where I hope to be in in a couple weeks.
  • Joecop
    Joecop Posts: 3
    Options
    Do a 5k, then 10k, then go for the half..
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ok, just signed up for my first 5K on Sept 18!!!! Woo Hooo... so excited!!!!