Find The Strength To Stop Emotional Eating

Options
JILLIAN'S TIP OF THE DAY
Face The Problem Head On

It's time to do an internal check-in. Face your issues by bringing them out of your subconscious and into your conscious reality. Especially during the holidays when you're feeling anxious about whatever is going on in your life, write down what you eat every day and the emotional circumstances surrounding every meal and snack.

Having written down what you're feeling will keep you from pushing the experience to back of your mind when you're done eating. You'll have a constant reminder of why you did what you did.

Emotional eating can be a big problem when you're trying to lose weight. You have a sucky week (or month!), and that pint of ice cream just seems to be the solution to your problem - WRONG! That's the old you. The new, empowered, and strong you can stand up to a tough time and know things can only get better.

At the end of the day, you have to learn to deal with sabotaging emotions by establishing healthy patterns of behavior and investing in your physical and emotional well-being. Here's the advice one teammate recently gave on my Message Boards to someone who'd just joined my program and was triggered to eat emotionally:

"Emotional eating has been difficult for me too. I have lost weight in the past but when I started feeling good about my body I would have panic attacks and start eating again.

I feel that working out and doing strength training makes me feel strong both physically and mentally. I can do nothing about the past (which too was really bad) I can only chose for myself today. I am driven not to continue my life the way it was, but the way I want and need it to be. It's one day at a time.

I found that measuring my success not in pounds, but in physical strength has helped me follow through. I can run now for a full minute, lift 10 pound weights, and do one minute of jumping jacks without stopping - three weeks ago that was not possible.

Each time I challenge myself during a workout I feel great happiness and strength which helps me mentally stay focused and not eat the bad stuff. I wish you strength and peace. Stick with it and congratulate yourself!" - atlasandi

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    JILLIAN'S TIP OF THE DAY
    Face The Problem Head On

It's time to do an internal check-in. Face your issues by bringing them out of your subconscious and into your conscious reality. Especially during the holidays when you're feeling anxious about whatever is going on in your life, write down what you eat every day and the emotional circumstances surrounding every meal and snack.

Having written down what you're feeling will keep you from pushing the experience to back of your mind when you're done eating. You'll have a constant reminder of why you did what you did.

Emotional eating can be a big problem when you're trying to lose weight. You have a sucky week (or month!), and that pint of ice cream just seems to be the solution to your problem - WRONG! That's the old you. The new, empowered, and strong you can stand up to a tough time and know things can only get better.

At the end of the day, you have to learn to deal with sabotaging emotions by establishing healthy patterns of behavior and investing in your physical and emotional well-being. Here's the advice one teammate recently gave on my Message Boards to someone who'd just joined my program and was triggered to eat emotionally:

"Emotional eating has been difficult for me too. I have lost weight in the past but when I started feeling good about my body I would have panic attacks and start eating again.

I feel that working out and doing strength training makes me feel strong both physically and mentally. I can do nothing about the past (which too was really bad) I can only chose for myself today. I am driven not to continue my life the way it was, but the way I want and need it to be. It's one day at a time.

I found that measuring my success not in pounds, but in physical strength has helped me follow through. I can run now for a full minute, lift 10 pound weights, and do one minute of jumping jacks without stopping - three weeks ago that was not possible.

Each time I challenge myself during a workout I feel great happiness and strength which helps me mentally stay focused and not eat the bad stuff. I wish you strength and peace. Stick with it and congratulate yourself!" - atlasandi
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Is this "Jillian" from The Biggest Loser?
    Am I the only person on the planet who isn't in love with her?
    Admittedly, I have limited knowledge of her.
    I saw her push the contestants at the beginning of this season, and I cried at how she talked to them and treated them.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Is this "Jillian" from The Biggest Loser?
    Am I the only person on the planet who isn't in love with her?
    Admittedly, I have limited knowledge of her.
    I saw her push the contestants at the beginning of this season, and I cried at how she talked to them and treated them.
    yup that would be her...not sure how many folks are in love with her but she does share soem good stuff in her newsletters which someone shares on another list I'm on and I often look through and share some on here.....

you jillian hater you:angry::noway: :laugh:

just kidding! I'm not sure I could be having a trainer like that....I'd be crying at the first yell session...I'd be drippin sweat in fear of being yelled at by her....:blushing: :laugh: :bigsmile: :huh:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    emotional eating is so difficult. i binge eat when i'm anxious, which is nearly constantly. Today will be day 4 no binges *crosses fingers*

I think she has good insight, but I hate when people just make it sound so easy to stop. It's a form of disordered eating patterns on the opposite end of anorexia.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    emotional eating is so difficult. i binge eat when i'm anxious, which is nearly constantly. Today will be day 4 no binges *crosses fingers*

I think she has good insight, but I hate when people just make it sound so easy to stop. It's a form of disordered eating patterns on the opposite end of anorexia.
    good job!!:drinker: Yes, because we all know it's NOT easy...but articles do tend to simplify don't they?:huh: :noway:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

good job!!:drinker: Yes, because we all know it's NOT easy...but articles do tend to simplify don't they?:huh: :noway:

haha yes, they certainly do. just find the ~willpower~ to be a new you. Not always so simple when you're chronically stressed out.

On that note, off for my morning workout. First time on the treadmill in forever haha.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

haha yes, they certainly do. just find the ~willpower~ to be a new you. Not always so simple when you're chronically stressed out.

On that note, off for my morning workout. First time on the treadmill in forever haha.
    have a good one, that's where I've been headed for like 30 minutes now and I keep responding to posts instead.......:bigsmile: