Scales are EVIL

Options
Ok so I know muscle is denser than fat, and I know weight is not the best gauge if you are doing strength training. I've lost an inch in my waist since last week, but I gained about 3 pounds. Logically, I know it's ok-that it's the inches lost that count.

Psychology, it's messing with my head.

My question is-how long should I wait to weigh myself again? One week? Two? A month? Forever?

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't weigh if the scales are going to affect you so much. I only weigh because the number to me is completely meaningless, it's the inches that matter and if the number started to affect me when I wa still going down in inches I'd simply stop all together.
  • sueozzy
    sueozzy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't like the scale either! I measure, as long as I am losing inches or staying the same I am HAPPY!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I'm thinking I should get rid of it!
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! We all know we shouldn't weigh too often and we all know muscle weighs more than fat etc etc, but it affects my head too. I like to see results and I get very easily disheartened.

So I could say.. don't weigh, just measure... but I know you will continue to weigh! So what I will say, is try and look at the bigger picture - if you gain or stay the same one week, over the course of 4-6 weeks if it's going in the right direction then try not fixate on weekly losses. My weight can fluctuate on a daily basis, so I try not to.. but find I jump on the scales wayyy too much x
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! We all know we shouldn't weigh too often and we all know muscle weighs more than fat etc etc, but it affects my head too. I like to see results and I get very easily disheartened.

So I could say.. don't weigh, just measure... but I know you will continue to weigh! So what I will say, is try and look at the bigger picture - if you gain or stay the same one week, over the course of 4-6 weeks if it's going in the right direction then try not fixate on weekly losses. My weight can fluctuate on a daily basis, so I try not to.. but find I jump on the scales wayyy too much x

I totally agree! If you are a scale junkie...like me..... you just have to remind yourself of the overall picture.