Why walk breaks could make you a better runner

Options
2»

Replies

• lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!! I'm in the middle of preparing for my first half marathon and am battling a bad knee. This sounds like a great solution!!! You've made my day:flowerforyou:
  • dawnstl
    dawnstl Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Berry! I've a firm believer in the walk/run method as well. Posted my best half marathon using it! Going to be running my first FULL in May 2012 and will definitely be using it to help break it up in small pieces. After all, they say 99% of it is mental. I love the Jeff Galloway method too!

Dawn
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post...thank you!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great post, food for thought...
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump for later.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! The thought of a 10K has been so daunting, having only done 2 5K's so far. But maybe the run/walk method will help me get past that fear.

I LOVE the CardioTrainer app. Question - is there a program on there that will tell me to run and walk at regular intervals? I haven't played with it very much to know. Thanks!!
    The Runkeeper app lets you program intervals.
  • tjutrostina
    tjutrostina Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm going to try this out...wonder if my Runkeeper has a programme to do this...hmmm...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm going to try this out...wonder if my Runkeeper has a programme to do this...hmmm...
    Yes! Use Coaching -> Create new workout -> Add interval

Add one slow of one minute, one fast of two minutes, save with a name and Bob's your uncle!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the CardioTrainer app. Question - is there a program on there that will tell me to run and walk at regular intervals? I haven't played with it very much to know. Thanks!!

I just started using RunKeeper, and LOVE IT! Not only does it use the GPS in my iPhone to track my ground track, distance, pace, etc, I can customize workouts within the app. I have one now that has me run steady for three minutes, then walk one. It gives me callouts for each interval, and also tells me other things that I have set into it.

You can mix the workouts for distance and time too. I did one with my trainer Monday, where we ran 1 mile w/o stopping, did the second as run 3/walk 1, and the third was speedwork. I created the workout, and it told me when to do what.

IMO, BEST FREE APP available, and most definately best running app I've found...
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    thnaks for the info. I have noticed sometimes on the3 c25k program that I am getting further when i am ont he walk run interval days so I guess thisexplains it
  • vladikavkaz
    vladikavkaz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've seen you talk about this method a few times, so when I went on my run yesterday morning I thought I'd give it a go.

My usual time for 10k is about 47 minutes, which roughly works out to be 7:30 minute miles. This isn't on the chart, so I went for 4 minute runs and 30 second walks.

I finished in 48:47, so a good minute and three quarters slower than usual. I did feel like I had more energy left than I usually do, though, so perhaps it would be more useful for me for longer distances, I don't know.

I'm going to try again though, perhaps increasing the running breaks to 5 minutes.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've seen you talk about this method a few times, so when I went on my run yesterday morning I thought I'd give it a go.

My usual time for 10k is about 47 minutes, which roughly works out to be 7:30 minute miles. This isn't on the chart, so I went for 4 minute runs and 30 second walks.

I finished in 48:47, so a good minute and three quarters slower than usual. I did feel like I had more energy left than I usually do, though, so perhaps it would be more useful for me for longer distances, I don't know.

I'm going to try again though, perhaps increasing the running breaks to 5 minutes.
    Ooh, thanks for that, interesting to see how it works out for speedy runners like yourself. Some of my running friends (including an Ironman triathlete - eek!) take a 30 second or a minute break at mile markers and use this to take on water etc. That might suit you better, and would only be a couple of minutes' more running time between breaks.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Because I am learning to be a runner, I always do a walk "break". It gives me a quick boost of energy to keep going and finish.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to get this ingrained in my head....it is such a hard concept to "get"
    thank u for laying all out so clearly for me.....
    perfect post...