It is just me or does JM like Plyometrics a little too much

Options
Ok, so I am almost done with the 30DS, and I love her workouts so far. I am planning on doing Ripped in 30, and then picking up a new DVD of hers every months until I have all of them to do the 30 days slimdown. I am doing some research, watching some clips of her workout DVD's on YouTube, and I am realizing more and more that she really is in love with plyometrics. I am dreading it. I have bad knees to begin with and since doing most of the 30DS, I have started having lower back issues. I know that Plyo's can get the best results, but can't she just pick something a little less high impact. Even her yoga DVD is someone high impact. Good googily moogily!!!!!!

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The Yoga Meltdown has no high impact anything, unless you jump into plank or jump to the side of the mat. She says, "Jump or step" for those types of things. I step because I don't want the impact right now. Even level 2 is all low impact with "jump or steps" to the front or sides of the mat.

Plyometrics is the most effective at getting your heart rate up because it requires the body to work in bursts. I'm not saying I like doing it anymore than you! LOL! I had quite a hard time near the end of 30DS but stuck to a lot of the Anita moves for the plyometric stuff because my body wasn't coping well with all of the jumping. I figure it's something to work up to, not to force myself into. :)

Good luck getting through! Remember, you can always do the lower impact moves with Anita in 30DS and the other DVDs if your knees are bothering you! You still get a great workout that way!
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree that her stuff is pretty hard on the joints. There are other cardio exercises you can do that will be easier on your knees, etc and still give you good burn.

I do kickboxing DVDs - Amy Bento's Rumble, In the Ring Cardio Kickboxing, Kickbox Xtreme, umm .. and one other one. Anything of hers is awesome. She does do jump kicks which are hard on the knees but they are easy to modify and keep it on the ground.

Or if you go to the gym, I mean, the elliptical is pretty easy on the knees. Or swimming.

And then for the toning there are a lot of simple moves you can do with light weights that won't hurt your joints.

Plyometrics are really good... but... if you hurt yourself and can't work out, that will be counterproductive.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    She really does. She does give modified versions of everything though and even if that is too much, you can modify it even more. As long as your heart rate is up, you are working. When I first started level 3 of the shred, I thought I would die doing those rock star jumps. The day I did it without stopping, I was so happy. Now I go back and I wonder what my problem was. She does these plie hops in level 4 of ripped that make me fall to my knees though.
  • FullmetalAlchemistMommy
    Options
    I modify as much as I can so I am not in pain at the end of the day, but once I modify it, it doesn't feel like I am working as hard as I should. I fiqure the more I work on it, the better off I will be in the long run. I really does make me feel good to get it completed. I am hoping that in a few months I won't need to modify as much. Here is hoping, anyway!