Brownies from the box

Options
Have any of you made brownies from the box, but healthified it with apple sauce instead of oil? My mom and her boyfriend LOVE boxed brownies, but I would love to make them healthier without them noticing... Were the brownies still good?

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes the applesauce recipe rocks
  • danewton
    danewton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always use unsweetened apple sauce in my box brownies and cake mixes. Most have the recipe in small print on the box. You may have to adjust the amount of water. I think they are good! Some people notice that they are more moist or chewy - not a bad thing in my book!
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The best way to make brownies healthier is to leave them in the box. LOL Just joking :-)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You can make brownies lower calorie (not necessarily healthier) by using a can of diet soda in place of the other added ingredients. Just mix one can of diet soda and brownie mix with a mixer until blended then follow baking directions on the box. It does taste a little different, but I like it.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Brownie mix and 3/4c fat free vanilla yogurt.. Ahhhhhmazing.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    If you want brownies...make them from scratch with whole wheat flour and honey and use a good chocolate...not the cheap stuff
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've made cake with applesauce instead of oil, very moist - yummy! I would love to try the brownies - hmm .... maybe I could bring them to work (CAN'T have them at home).

There's a pumpkin brownie recipe too. I have not tried that either. Also a brand called "No Pudge" that are made with plain yogurt.
  • misslyssx
    Options
    I have made brownies from scratch but my mother won't eat them... she's really picky and will only eat the boxed stuff.

I've heard good things about the no Pudge brownies, so yogurt might be a good sub as well.

Thanks for the info guys!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i've almost always had applesauce brownies (w the regular mix) my whole life and they are just as great. they might be SLIGHTLY more crumbly than the oil kind but you'd be hard pressed to tell the dif.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have made brownies with a can of pumpkin, applesauce and yogurt. What I have found is the pumpkin seems to make the chocolate more bland.. doesnt taste like pumpkin, but def not as sweet as reg brownies, the applesauce is sweet, but makes it kind of dry, and the yogurt is sweet and VERY moist!

I also will take a white cake mix and mix it with a can of diet black cherry soda or any other good diet soda. Just cake mix and soda, bake it and its delish!