Hell Run - Sept 17th - need some advice

Options
Faery7
Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
Hi all - I'm thinking about maybe signing up for Hell Run. I'm not in shape, but I'm really competitive and someone that really loves a challenge and to push myself.

Anyone have any thoughts on doing one of these challenges if you aren't in good shape?

If you aren't familiar with Hell Run, here's a link so you can check it out: http://www.hellrun.com/columbus/#/Hell_Course

Replies

• roebuck1908
    Options
    Check out Helen Back on www.IVEDONEIT.co.uk
  • Faery7
    Options
    FYI - I do run every day, generally about 30 minutes on the treadmill, some outside running. About 20 minutes on the stairmaster... but I haven't done much strength training.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Have you ever run any kind of 5K before (this is a little longer)? Do you do any type of workouts that are similar to the course?

I've found that while there are people that get up off the couch and do it, they don't usually do it well and they are the ones likely to really injure themselves.

For ME I'd love to do the Warrior Dash (similar type of run) but I knew that I wouldn't have done a regular 5K in time and wasn't a runner before so now that I'm finishing C25K I'm putting them on my calendar for next Sept for sure. That way I will know that I won't suck.
  • Faery7
    Options
    Good point... maybe I'm getting too exicted to move too quickly and should wait for next year. It just sounds like SO MUCH fun!
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I'd say if you are motivate then go for it. Keep me posted. I think that's awesome!!!
  • paintitblack
    Options
    I'm guessing that, if you're doing 30 minutes of running, you're probably not running the 3+ miles that the course is? (Correct me if I'm wrong, and congratulations if you are!) What I think might be a good idea if you're worried about your fitness ability is just maybe once or twice a week running the length of the course to get you used to going that far. I had a friend who was training for a 10km run and he did two smaller runs during the week and then one 10km run so that he'd get accustomed to the distance. It's worth a shot, right? That course looks like you need a lot of stamina for it!

Strength training is always a good idea! Especially if you're going to be fighting the resistance of water and climbing over trucks and stuff. I'd say go for it! Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself in for and have fun!
  • Faery7
    Options
    Thanks guys - the good thing about this kind of course is that it's supposed to be for fun. The obstacles are challenging, but they say as long as you give them a good try, they will let you bypass them if you aren't able to do it. I run 3 miles in 40 minutes right now, but honestly that's really pushing myself but it makes me feel great! I just don't want to make a fool out of myself lol :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I did the Seattle Hell Run this weekend and I totally encourage you to go for it if you are interested. If you come across an obstacle you cannot handle you can go around it. Don't let anything hold you back!

fyi: my profile pic is from me right after the finish. Prepare to get muddy!