Heavy After Weightlifting

tsdsign
tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
I workout 3-4x a week. On some weeks I will take strength training class. On the other days I take Zumba, Cycling, walk/run around the track; or lift free weights on my own. I notice anytime I lift weights my body is heavy... even up to 5 days afterwards. On those weeks I do not weigh-in because the scale will reflect anywhere from 3-5lbs weight gain.

In a month I may weigh myself 2x. So, I'm not hung up on the #'s on the scale. As a matter of fact, there's a visible difference in how my clothes are fitting. I'm just curious in why I'm heavier after weightlifting. What you do you think causes this?

Replies

• Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Muscles are swollen? Forgot to put the weights down before getting on the scale? One of those two, I am sure.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    I've heard your body will naturally retain water as part of the healing process after strength training. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but that may explain the gain.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    You may be retaining water after lifting, are you drinking enough?
  • hkopacz
    hkopacz Posts: 15
    If you are losing weight and can tell by your clothes don't worry about the scale. You know your body, if the clothes are getting looser then woo hoo for you! I weigh myself out of curiosity, but I also go by how things fit or don't fit.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    bump
  • I'm unsure of the science behind it, but I know the trainers at my YMCA do not like testing your weight and body fat after you've worked out. I had one trainer tell me the reason behind it involves blood and water rushing to the muscle tissue which will throw off the scales.
  • tsdsign
    tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks for the responses. :smile:

On those days I workout I try to drink as much fluid as I can. I also take a bottle of water with me to the gym. After any workout I have a smoothie with protein.

Also, I do not weigh myself right after I workout.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    As far as I am aware 2 things happen.

1/ having used the store of energy in the muscle it is replaced and a bit more besides because your body now expects the same sort of expenditure again. engery (glycogen) is stored in the muslce 1 part glycogen to 3 parts water.

2/ muscles repair and rebuilding is going on so extra chemical weight is there to alolow this to happen.

but as always I could be wrong
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Doesn't muscle weigh more than fat? I'm having this sort of problem also. The first time I started lifting the weight loss tapered off quite a bit, but I replaced much fat % with muscle %. This time around, I don't seem to be doing anything but getting heavier. I do 45 min of cardio before I lift, to burn calories and fat. Then I lift for about 45 - 60 minutes. I haven't lifted in 4 days - trying to see if I will go down a few days after lifting, and instead I gained 2 lbs. Any explanations? Should I just do cardio and no lifting, or keep with it another week to see what happens?
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    I'm having the same problem. Sunday I stepped on the scale and finally broke 160. But today I step on the scale and I'm up 1.2 lbs.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    You shouldn't weigh yourself after you work out; I always do it pre workout and preferably in the morning -- Keep it consistent as well. Your body will fluctuate throughout the day. I've also heard that you retain water after working out -- I mean, think about all the water you're drinking and especially after lifting weights, you muscles should feel a bit swollen.
  • yea
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I workout 3-4x a week. On some weeks I will take strength training class. On the other days I take Zumba, Cycling, walk/run around the track; or lift free weights on my own. I notice anytime I lift weights my body is heavy... even up to 5 days afterwards. On those weeks I do not weigh-in because the scale will reflect anywhere from 3-5lbs weight gain.

In a month I may weigh myself 2x. So, I'm not hung up on the #'s on the scale. As a matter of fact, there's a visible difference in how my clothes are fitting. I'm just curious in why I'm heavier after weightlifting. What you do you think causes this?
    Muscles need water to repair themselves. Muscle is about 80% water. So water retention to do this can result in a 2 to 5lbs gain.Then the cells of your body also stores glycogen and extra water with the anticipation that another weight lifting session is ahead. Another 2lbs is not unusual.
    Totally normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    probley water retention and muscles trying to grow.. its no worries... its what you want :)

this is why scale is worst thing to go by... try to get a BODYFAT% scale or a handheld analyzer they are about $50 here in stores... n go by ur bodyfat... because thing about it.. if you loose 20lbs but 10lbs was muscle.. then ur going to look exactly the same in the mirror just a little smaller.. u will never look firm... u want to keep all ur muscle n burn the fat off it
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

Basically after a weight workout your muscles need to repair themselves. To do so they need to bring in nutrients, and to do that they bring in water. That translates into water weight.