Shampoo/Conditioner for Curly Hair?

Options
2»

Replies

• thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    i like john frieda products..

also, i only use shampoo about once a week. the rest of the days, i "wash" with just conditioner. it keeps my hair moisturized and minimizes frizz. i use a lot of leave-in conditioners, i try to avoid gel and mousse because they usually have alcohol in them (dries hair out).
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I haven't tried this, mind you, but apparently using vinegar (1 T in a spray bottle) and baking soda (mixed with water too) and only washing every-other-day really helps to re-set the PH balance of your hair.

I read it on a website somewhere... let me see if I can find it....

http://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-shampoo-recipe/

I have crazy curl too and I find it helps to wash every-other day and just rinse on the off days. Pantene weighs my hair down too.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use devacurl no-poo and their extra moistourizing conditioner. It is expensive, but my hair looks awesome. A tip that I"ve found though, is that Americans shampoo their hair WAY to much. I've talked to many curly stylists over the years and agree that, depending on your hair type, you do NOT have to shampoo your hair every time you shower, or even every other day. I typically shampoo about once every 2-4 weeks, depending on how greasy it gets (read; I think my hair is greasy, no one else does). No one has ever noticed, even my fiancee. I do condition my hair every time it gets wet and find that this is good enough. Not only does it cut down on shower time, but I can make a large bottle of shampoo last a year!

Like I said, it may take some time to get used to, but I haven't looked back since i started 7 years ago!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Curly hair needs moisture. So as long as you make sure your shampoo is moisturizing you should be good. Suave is decent if you can't use salon quality. I highly recommend going to ulta for the liter sales. You can get Biolage or Joico for less than 30 for both shampoo and conditioner. The higher quality, the less you need to use and a liter will last usually 4+ months. I am a cosmetologist and I used Herbal essence when funds were really low but it just does what most market products do... builds up a wax layer and for my fine, thin curly hair it just weighed it down. I use Aquage moisture shampoo and intensive conditioner. I then cocktail Chi royal treatment and Aquage curl defining cream. Finish off with some Chi shine spray and i'm set to rock the curls all day
  • ddrrooiiddppss0088
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to be the only guy that replies to this, but I have curly that likes to fro if at all possible. So the last time I was getting my hair cut, the girl recommended anything that contains natural oils. It will help keep the frizz down. So I bought Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Shampoo and Conditioner and I love it. I would highly recommend it plus its cheap too.

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_HAIRCARE^FRUCTIS^FRUCTIS_DISCOVER^FRUCTIS_TRIPLE_NUTRITION
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I also use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Shampoo and Conditioner but it doesn't do wonders for my hair, its the best I have used thus far :) but I may look into some of these other shampoos referred. Thanks for posting :D
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I prefer frizz ease products- I use the whole line whether I go straight (like in my picture) or do my natural curls. Their 3 day straight spray is AMAZZZZING by the way! I like someone said before, don't wash/condition it everyday. Not good for it- i only wash it 2-3 times a week, wet it down without soap off days to get product out.
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There's a line of products called Deva curl. BEST STUFF EVER!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I know some curly haired women that don't shampoo at all - use conditioner only.

Personally, I have straight hair, but I have gotten it trained to only shampoo once a week. I just rinse in warm water every day. I use a dry shampoo about halfway through the week, and that's it. My hair is healthier, stronger, and less frizzy. Also, because I use so little shampoo now, I was able to splurge and buy a salon brand that provides me with the proper stuff I need. When I do shampoo, I use just a small amount and only apply it to my roots. Rinsing it out cleans the length of my hair just fine. I'm a limited shampoo convert and suggest everyone try it!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am a poverty stricken TEACHER with naturally curly hair.

If you have a local cosmo school around, go by and talk to the instructor about what can be done. I actually have mine chemically straightened every 6 months or so by students at the cosmo school. It would cost around $500 in the salon. I pay $100 at the school. I do a thermal straightening.
  • Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone! So many good ideas, I don't know how I'm going to choose! You all are fantastic, thanks.
  • bambier
    bambier Posts: 32
    Options
    Go to naturallycurly.com or curltalk.com. GREAT advice there! I've found recipes to make my own products and for awhile used Suave coconut conditioner as a 'co-wash' instead of shampoo. Or shampoo bars. Also make my own flax seed gel.

Stay away from silicones and sulfates- your hair will thank yoU!

This. Though I don't make my own stuff... I'm too lazy for that!

I switched to the curly girl method a couple years ago and I'll never go back. My hair is so much less frizzy and more defined, and I spend a TON less on product.

I use:

1. Suave coconut conditioner as cowash (instead of shampoo). You do use more of it than you would shampoo (a bottle usually lasts me 1.5-2 weeks). It's Around $1 a bottle.

2. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse daily while my hair is still wet ($3 - though I usually use coupons).

3. LA Looks Gel Daily - while my hair is still sopping wet ($2)

4. Suave spray gel if I'm leaving my hair and not washing it on a second day ($3).

5. Giovanni Deep Conditioner - once a month or as needed for a deep condition -- $8 at Target.

6. Apple-cider-vinegar every 3-4 months or whenever I feel my hair getting a build up (usually from sunscreens or lotions, NOT from the conditioners) $3.

I don't use a towel (they suck the moisture out of your hair), and just dry my hair very breifly in a t-shirt and let it air dry from there. I never actually brush my hair - only use a wide mouthed comb, or sometimes just my fingers, when my hair is wet. Normally I "plop", where you tie your hair up in the t-shirt over your head instead of the towel etc. You really can do this with just the Co-Wash and the Gel and skip all the other stuff at first - that's how I started. If nothing else, it's something cheap to try for a little while! Usually you have to stick with it a couple months, and a lot of people go through a transition period where your scalp is trying to normalize after all the years of taking the "good oils" away constantly....
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have been into John Frieda products for a couple years now. They definitely help the frizzies. Some days I walk outside and "poof" there goes the hair!!
  • frances8751
    Options
    Hi! I have curly hair due to a perm, and we both know how that can frizz! The best thing I have found is Garnier Fructise for frizz control. It leaves my hair soft, never weighed down, and controls the frizz! Good luck!:smile::smile:
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I know it is healthier to not wash your hair every day, but what if you sweat a ton at the gym?! I have went without washing it before if it is not really sweaty but sometimes it is SOOO sweaty and I can't not wash it! I have tried every product and usually waste money. I am looking for volume and no frizzzzzzzzzzz!! Is Suave good for real?? I am also wondering about curly hair creams and which ones actually work! I love Paul Mitchell Quik Slip but I need something along with that! I also need a new shampoo and cond that won't dry the scalp out.