Indian Food WITHOUT rice or bread?

Options
I am obsessed with Indian food. Is it possible to eat Indian food without RICE or BREAD? I know they have pea/bean dishes but thats still pretty carby.....

I can't stomach the idea of eating for example, chicken tikka masala without RICE, is there a healthy alternative?

leave any idea here please!
#friendmeplease!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Small protion of rice.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    One of my standard go-to dishes is tandoori chicken with a side of salad and vegetables. YUM!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    That's how I would eat it, without rice. When I make it at home I sometimes make cauliflower "rice". It's not the same, but it is delicious. Of course, I love cauliflower, so, there you go.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    brown rice is good for you as long as you don't have too much. In 90g of brown rice there is 61 carbs, which is high but not as high as white white has 77 g of carbs for the same amount
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    SORRY IF YOU ARE HAVING CHICKEN TIKKA MASSALA GOTTA HAVE IT WITH NAAN, poppadoms n pickles to start and kulfi after , and beer throughout..... yummy bloody scrummy, i miss indian food, going to uk in sept gonna go have a good one...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with Indian food. Is it possible to eat Indian food without RICE or BREAD? I know they have pea/bean dishes but thats still pretty carby.....

I can't stomach the idea of eating for example, chicken tikka masala without RICE, is there a healthy alternative?

leave any idea here please!
    #friendmeplease!

If you can't stand the thought of eating it without rice why don't you plan ahead and budget the calories and carbs and have a smaller portion?
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What about quinoa or bulgar wheat?
  • winstonh
    winstonh Posts: 48
    Options
    This has been troublesome for me as well as Indian is my favorite! Not only is the rice and Naan a pain but so is the amount of fat they tend to cook with! ANyway, I think maybe the Eat, Shrink, Be Merry girls might have some low fat, lower carb Indian recipes...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yes, home made tikka masala (ie without huge quantities of oil) and a small portion of rice.

Better still, tandoori chicken and rice / naan.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Mmmm mmm bhindi masala (spicy okra) is the best!
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    That's how I would eat it, without rice. When I make it at home I sometimes make cauliflower "rice". It's not the same, but it is delicious. Of course, I love cauliflower, so, there you go.
    That'd be good. Or steamed squash. Potatoes would also work, unless you're avoiding carbs in general.

You could also try tikka masala on lettuce wraps so you don't have to scoop it up with naan (or miss the sauce!).
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    brown rice...quinoa...maybe a small portion of whole wheat couscous...I like the idea of the cauliflower.

I like Indian food..will be interesting to know what other folks say.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you can't stand the thought of eating it without rice why don't you plan ahead and budget the calories and carbs and have a smaller portion?
    Why do you have to be so logical?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

I make the cauliflower rice occassionally. Indian food seems like it would be the perfect opportunitiy to substitute for rice.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a requirement to eat the bread or rice. Anything Indian CAN be eaten without them.

I guess I wonder why you would bother, though. :-)

I do Indian about once a month and I save up the calories for it the week I know I'm having it. It's just worth it.
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You could also try tikka masala on lettuce wraps so you don't have to scoop it up with naan (or miss the sauce!).

That is an AMAZING idea! To me, the bread/rice is just a vehicle for the extra sauce =)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I make the cauliflower rice occassionally. Indian food seems like it would be the perfect opportunitiy to substitute for rice.

It's delicious. We have curry once a week this way.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    small portion of brown rice instead.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This has been troublesome for me as well as Indian is my favorite! Not only is the rice and Naan a pain but so is the amount of fat they tend to cook with! ANyway, I think maybe the Eat, Shrink, Be Merry girls might have some low fat, lower carb Indian recipes...

LOVE THESE LADIES! Their better butter chicken is soooooo amazingly good and low in fat and calories. My fav indian dish is saag and ya, how do you have that without naan? I compromise by making it at home, so I know what's in there, and I've been experimenting with whole wheat naan. Naan really is about the easiest thing in the world to make. Using all whole wheat flour doesn't work. It doesn't have that thin, airy texture but 1/2 reg and whole wheat flour, you can't even tell. You can also add a tiny bit of baking soda to make it bubble and puff up. Don't tell my Indian friends I do that! I'm sure it's not a traditional method.
  • winstonh
    winstonh Posts: 48
    Options

LOVE THESE LADIES! Their better butter chicken is soooooo amazingly good and low in fat and calories. My fav indian dish is saag and ya, how do you have that without naan? I compromise by making it at home, so I know what's in there, and I've been experimenting with whole wheat naan. Naan really is about the easiest thing in the world to make. Using all whole wheat flour doesn't work. It doesn't have that thin, airy texture but 1/2 reg and whole wheat flour, you can't even tell. You can also add a tiny bit of baking soda to make it bubble and puff up. Don't tell my Indian friends I do that! I'm sure it's not a traditional method.

Your secret is safe with me! I like that 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour idea - thanks!