Peanut Butter

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would stick to organic all natural types. Jiff, Skippy etc all have too much sugar and are too processed.

I LOVE so many nut butters available at Whole Foods:
    Cashew Butter - my personal fav
    Almond Butter
    Hazelnut Butter
    Pecan Butter
    Dark Chocolate Almond Butter
    I could go on and on...

yum yum yum!!! But only 2tbsp/day... unfortunately.
    Skippy Natural has 3 grams of sugar for 2T and a total of 6 grams of carbs (which I don't care about, but so many of you do).

It contains: Roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil and salt (in that order).

The only processing I can imagine it endures is being ground up into the "butter" part of peanut butter.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How much palm oil does it have and why did they put it in there? Peanut butter, with just nuts, has the oil from the peanuts to make it oily. Peanut oil is more expensive than palm oil so they take it out and sell it as peanut oil and replace with palm oil in the nut butter. I don't have a problem with the sugar if it's really sugar and not that chemical fake sugar. A little molasis would be even better!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Brand is Peanut Butter Co....flavor is Dark Chocolate Dreams. I get it at Whole Foods or Wal-Mart even carries it now.

It is the good fat..I don't think it is bad in moderation.

I Love this one too!
  • rml_16
    Options
    How much palm oil does it have and why did they put it in there? Peanut butter, with just nuts, has the oil from the peanuts to make it oily. Peanut oil is more expensive than palm oil so they take it out and sell it as peanut oil and replace with palm oil in the nut butter. I don't have a problem with the sugar if it's really sugar and not that chemical fake sugar. A little molasis would be even better!

You'll have to discuss your questions with Skippy.

I was just pointing out that the previous poster was kind of misleading.

I'm not all that concerned about the palm oil. And I've had freshly blended peanut butter. It's always kind of gritty. I like my Skippy Natural. Tastes better than any peanut butter I've ever had, even the organic and the freshly ground.
  • emmajayp
    Options
    Staggeringly.
    Load of carbs too.

Amounts per 100 grams

Calorie Information
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Calories588(2462 kJ)29%
    From Carbohydrate79.3(332 kJ)
    From Fat422(1767 kJ)
    From Protein87.1(365 kJ)
    From Alcohol0.0(0.0 kJ)
    Carbohydrates
    Total Carbohydrate20.0g7%
    Dietary Fiber6.0g24%
    Starch4.8g
    Sugars9.2g
    Fats & Fatty Acids
    Total Fat50.4g78%
    Saturated Fat10.5g53%
    Monounsaturated Fat24.2g
    Polyunsaturated Fat14.2g
    Total trans fatty acids~
    Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids~
    Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids~
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids78.0mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids14081mg
    Protein & Amino Acids
    Protein25.1g50%

Almond butter would probably be better but still full of fat....
  • rml_16
    Options
    Staggeringly.
    Load of carbs too.

Amounts per 100 grams

Calorie Information
    Calories588(2462 kJ)29%
    From Carbohydrate79.3(332 kJ)
    From Fat422(1767 kJ)
    From Protein87.1(365 kJ)
    From Alcohol0.0(0.0 kJ)
    Carbohydrates
    Total Carbohydrate20.0g7%
    Dietary Fiber6.0g24%
    Starch4.8g
    Sugars9.2g
    Fats & Fatty Acids
    Total Fat50.4g78%
    Saturated Fat10.5g53%
    Monounsaturated Fat24.2g
    Polyunsaturated Fat14.2g
    Total trans fatty acids~
    Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids~
    Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids~
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids78.0mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids14081mg
    Protein & Amino Acids
    Protein25.1g50%

Almond butter would probably be better but still full of fat....

That NI is for more than one serving. I'm looking at the nutrition label of a jar of peanut butter right now and it lists 6 grams of carbs for 2 T, which is a serving.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I have a great brand that I buy in individual serving sizes so it helps me keep it in moderation. Brand is Peanut Butter Co....flavor is Dark Chocolate Dreams. I get it at Whole Foods or Wal-Mart even carries it now.

It is the good fat..I don't think it is bad in moderation.

Thanks for the tip...its SO hard sometimes to stop at just 2 tbsp when you open a whole yummy jar! I'll be checking this out for sure!
  • litljoy2001
    Options
    skippy natural is what I have been eating I have added the peanut butter for the protien since im so close to my weight loss goal I am focusing on building more muscle tone and needed more protien in my diet
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try PB2

http://www.bellplantation.com/

It's 45 Calories, 1.5G FAT, all natural. It's dehydrated peanut butter, they take the oil out. I'm not going to lie to you and say it tastes awesome, but it's good. And fills my peanut butter craving when I have one! I don't feel so guilty eating that vs. Skippy

- Mike

Yep PB2 is good. I ordered it to put in my oatmeal. I don't like it AS much, but when you're trying to evenly distribute your calories, this helps a lot.

You just add water to it and you make it as thin or thick as you want it to be. It's worth a shot!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Try PB2

http://www.bellplantation.com/

It's 45 Calories, 1.5G FAT, all natural. It's dehydrated peanut butter, they take the oil out. I'm not going to lie to you and say it tastes awesome, but it's good. And fills my peanut butter craving when I have one! I don't feel so guilty eating that vs. Skippy

- Mike

I LOVE PB2! Sames thoughts, exactly. Goes perfect on my waffles!
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    i eat nut butter. every day.

it's the carbs in the apple i am more concerned with.

Lol! I've never heard of someone being concerned about an apple before. Sorry, that made me giggle :D
  • rml_16
    Options

Lol! I've never heard of someone being concerned about an apple before. Sorry, that made me giggle :D

Stick around these boards for a while. You'll learn that if you lost any weight while eating more that 50g of carbs a day, your weight loss is clearly imagined.
  • theresamommyof4
    Options

Stick around these boards for a while. You'll learn that if you lost any weight while eating more that 50g of carbs a day, your weight loss is clearly imagined.

Lol! I know... I actually have seen some pretty crazy things, but an apple? Really? I mean, I don't want to insult anyone, but any diet that restricts fruit is silly and unhealthy.... Just sayin'! I'm losing weight just fine... apples and all :D
  • rml_16
    Options

Lol! I know... I actually have seen some pretty crazy things, but an apple? Really? I mean, I don't want to insult anyone, but any diet that restricts fruit is silly and unhealthy.... Just sayin'! I'm losing weight just fine... apples and all :D

I'm totally with you!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Not only do I Love peanut butter, but I get it Free! Also roasted peanuts and in-shell peanuts. Big tubs of them! (They are gifts from a customer.)
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I'm totally with you!

*sigh*