Kale. .. . . So healthy. . How do you like yours???

Options

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I don't like kale chips, generally - but I use kale several times a week. If I make a pasta dish, it goes in there. Otherwise...now, you won't believe me that this is not disgusting...but give it a try.

I make a green smoothie with the following:

kale (about 3 cups)
    spinach (1.5 cups)
    carrot
    1/2 cup blueberries
    2/3 cup strawberries
    1 frozen banana (essential to keeping this from tasting like a kale smoothie)
    3 tbsp ground flax seed
    water as needed

This makes three small smoothies for my family, and we've started drinking them a couple times a week. Even my 16 month old toddler, who says "Mmmmm!" after sipping it. It's a wretched color but it works!

Try it!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I usually juice it with lemon and with some combo of beets, cukes, carrots, apples, romaine...

Have been wanting to try kale chips! They seem to be quite the craze lately!

Also LOVE kale in stirfry...
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I used the dehydrator to make kale chips last summer, they are addictive! One of my coworkers puts a handful into his fruit smoothie and swears it gives him an energy boost.

LOVE this. . I have a dehydrator Thanks.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I don't like kale chips, generally - but I use kale several times a week. If I make a pasta dish, it goes in there. Otherwise...now, you won't believe me that this is not disgusting...but give it a try.

I make a green smoothie with the following:

kale (about 3 cups)
    spinach (1.5 cups)
    carrot
    1/2 cup blueberries
    2/3 cup strawberries
    1 frozen banana (essential to keeping this from tasting like a kale smoothie)
    3 tbsp ground flax seed
    water as needed

This makes three small smoothies for my family, and we've started drinking them a couple times a week. Even my 16 month old toddler, who says "Mmmmm!" after sipping it. It's a wretched color but it works!

Try it!

Right one. . . love it!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sugarsprinkles
    Options
    I just made the chips, and ate them aaaallllllll! Love them! Thanks for the tip!
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I chop it up (no stem) into little pieces and put it in egg white omelettes. I saute a little onion in the pan, then i put some chopped kale and spinach in just long enough to wilt it, not really cook it through then take it out of the pan and put aside. Then pour in the egg whites, cover the bottom of the pan, cook until almost completely solid, sprinkle the kale and spinach onto the egg and fold it over to make an omelette. It's really good. I was so skeptical the first time I tried Kale. I also dice it up into my salads. I am going to try making the chips over the weekend.
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My wife and I add it to our green smoothies in out VitaMixer,

grapes 50g
    100g fresh pineapple with core
    1/2 orange
    1 bananna
    15g cabbage
    50g Kale
    50g Organic Spinach
    15g organic carrots
    15g yellow squash
    1 whole skinless Kiwi
    1cup water
    1 cup ice
    Blend away. Makes around 2 20oz smoothies.

We do 1 to 2 of these a day.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    definitely smoothies and kale chips (with nutritional yeast!), like everyone else has mentioned. I also make a soup like this at least once a month (minus the potatoes): http://www.manifestvegan.com/2010/01/lentil-kale-and-potato-soup/ and it's awesome. you can pretty much throw it in any soup, kale by itself has such a mild flavor that you won't really notice it. other than that, I sauté it with garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, and whatever spices I feel like at the time and it makes the perfect side dish.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I chop it up and put it in a turkey burger! This recipe is SO good:

Ingredients

2 lbs - Ground Turkey
    3 cups (750 mL) - Kale, finely chopped
    1 each - Egg, large
    4 Tbsp ( 60 mL) - Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbsp (15 mL) - Garlic powder
    2 tsp (10 mL) - Onion powder
    1 tsp (5 mL) - Thyme, dried
    ½ tsp (3 mL) - Rosemary, dried
    3 Tbsp (45 mL) - Dijon mustard
    1 tsp (5 mL) - Salt

Directions:
    In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients with your hands.
    Form into 8 patties of uniform size.
    Place into a non-stick grill or barbeque that has been sprayed with olive oil and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on the one side.
    Turn over, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until center is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
    Serve alone or on a whole-wheat bun (additional calories) with a side of 2-3 servings of vegetables.
    Makes 8 servings (160g /serving).
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    soup with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, kale, onions, vegetable stock cubes,carrots, leek, cumin, tumeric, and chevril,and I use aduki beans but substitute if you can't find them. Soooo good. It's from Gillian McKeith's "You are What youEat" cookbook
  • libs41223
    libs41223 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    One of my family's favorite recipes has kale in it. I cut Jennie-O Sweet Italian Sausage out of their casings and brown them in a skillet. I chop up 4 cups of kale and throw it in with the sausage when it is cook. Then I add 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth and cover my skillet. I let that sit for 10 minutes or so or until the kale is wilted. While that is going, I make a box of penne or rigatoni. My family likes the Ronzoni Garden vegetable pasta. When the kale is wilted mix in the pasta. It's so simple and soooooo good.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    1. Use it as a homemade pizza topping. The trick is to put it under the cheese or otherwise it might burn quickly.

2. Make pesto. Put the raw leaves into a food processor with olive oil a few nuts (any kind) and a little parm cheese.

3. Make a one pot meal with brown rice and crushed tomatoes. Add ground turkey or sausage for extra flavor.

4. Add it to fruit smoothies. You won't even taste it.

5. Make a quiche or frittata. It's really good paired with eggs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never had kale chips but I eat it a lot. It's in my 'most used' foods list. My favorite way is steamed just until it gets bright (maybe 5 min tops) and topped with a little low sodium soy sauce and toasted slivered almonds.

It's also really good chopped and added to brown rice or quinoa. Add it immediately after you take the grain from the heat and stir in. The heat from the grain will wilt it.

I also like it chopped and added to pasta sauces of just about any kind - olive oil based, cream, tomato, whatever. Again just stir in when the sauce is finished and let it wilt a little.

My advice is NEVER EVER buy canned kale or any other greens. They are way overcooked. Greens are at their peak taste and keep more nutrients if only cooked until they turn bright green. If they start turning dark then you've overcooked them. Any of the recipes above are equally good with turnip or collard greens. Frozen greens are good but already cooked so heat them gently so as not to overcook.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever used Kale for is making my own version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup. There version is already pretty low calorie but of course a bit steep on the Sodium. Made correctly (my way) it's actually a very well balanced food.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    smoothies, soups, and my kale chips are awesome!! I like to make sausage and sweet potato soup with lots of kale, but you can throw it into almost any soup with good results.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There is a suasage and kale soup made with tomatoes and potatoes that my fiance loooooves.
    I am 3 quarters portuguese and never heard of tomatoes in kale soup. LOL I use sliced portuguese sausage (Linguica, very flavorful), kale, diced onions, low sodium beef stock, Red Kidney Beans, a little olive oil, cubed potatoes, red cooking wine, water, a dash of lemon pepper or lemon juice and you could add in lean stew meat and beef bone for more flavor. I like a bit of garlic salt, pepper, onion powder ad to spice it up a bit you can add cajun seasoning or red hot sauce. Good luck!!
  • Kayraysmommy2209
    Options
    bump
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There is a white bean, turkey sausage, and kale soup on skinnytaste.com that is awesome!
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kale, it's my fave veggie. I like to saute mine, add mushrooms, garlic, a little chicken broth, maybe a splash of port wine and lemon juice, and lots of black pepper. It's also great tossed into pasta dishes or brothy soups. I tried making my own kale chips once but they didn't turn out so great. However, I love "Brad's Raw Leafy Kale" chips (they sell it at the Wegman's near me) in the spicy "cheese" flavor. Yum!