Help!! How do I cook this chicken!!

Options
mommyoftwins05
mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
I have never been good at cooking chicken pieces like legs ect... well I was given some.. I put it in a 13x9 covered in bbq sauce and then covered it with foil.. I tried 350 degrees for 40 mins.. its almost done with the time and I just checked it.. when I poke it with a fork blood doesn't come out..but I cut it and it doesn't look close to being done :( they are pretty big pieces.. I have four pieces in there.. please help

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    Don't cover it in foil. Take the foil off
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    Don't cover it in foil. Take the foil off

Oh I read to cover it... ok I'll try that
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tend to leave chicken in the oven longer than necessary just to be on the safe side....if you've covered it in BBQ sauce, it shouldn't dry out so just leave it in the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
  • StellaBby10
    Options
    noo you should cover it if your baking it!!!!! it will dry out if u dont
  • amybilka
    Options
    My rule of thumb for all chicken is 45 minutes at 350, just to be on the safe side of things.
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    ok do I cover or not???
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Best bet? Buy an instant-read thermometer and spend a couple of extra bucks to get a digital one (SO much easier to read). Chicken should be at 160F.

Once you're experienced, you won't always need it anymore, but it's a safe way until you're comfortable going by "feel".

You can also try rubbing with a spice blend or lemon pepper seasoning. Yum!

Good luck!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    How about half covered? As reported earlier, if you drowned it in BBQ sauce, it will not dry out.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    How closely do you have the chicken pieces packed together? They need room for the heat to conduct around them. Also, you may want to turn them over at least once during the cooking process. Personally, I would cover the chicken for about half way through the cooking process and then uncover and put the BBQ sauce on. Covering it will help keep the juices in while the internal temperature rises. Uncovering it will allow steam to escape so the meat can begin to brown. If you go the entire cooking time with the chicken uncovered, you run a chance of the BBQ sauce burning because the sugar will caramelize. Hope this helps!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I usually boil it for 3 reasons. 1.) It takes less time to bake. 2.) It separates the fat. 3.) you have chicken broth for gravy.
    Then stick it in the oven for a little longer, and add BBQ sauce.

* I agree with the covering it with tin foil. If you keep the cover off, it will be very dry.
  • Lisaann111663
    Options
    TRY LEAVING THEM IN FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES. SOMETIME CHICKEN LEGS LOOK KIND OF FUNNY THAT'S BECAUSE ITS DARK MEAT. GOOD LUCK:)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I usually boil it for 3 reasons. 1.) It takes less time to bake. 2.) It separates the fat. 3.) you have chicken broth for gravy.

* I agree with the covering it with tin foil. If you keep the cover off, it will be very dry.

how long do you boil chicken breast for?
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Uncover the chicken !!!!!!!!!!!
  • mommyoftwins05
    Options
    now its showing blood when I poke at it... man I don't know what to do..
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Turn up the heat to 400. Let them cook for 15 more minutes.

Cooking time and temp will always depend on how many you are cooking and how big they are of course. 350 really isn't high enough to me, it seems to take to long to cook. Chicken legs don't dry out as easy as breast do, so you don't really have to worry about covering them next time, but next time wait to pour bbq on, once they are closer to being done. The bbq burns easier, so it could burn before the meat is actually done. Boiling them is a great way to be sure they are done and is quicker, it does change the flavor a bit though.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    now its showing blood when I poke at it... man I don't know what to do..

that's bbq sauce, silly
    :wink:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    When I do Buffalo chicken I always cover it but it is also completely drenched in the hot sauce.
    I have also precooked some in water to get some of the fat out before putting in the oven.
    All I go by there is a visual in the water and when the surface has turned whitish.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    ROT for chicken is 20min/lb however if the pieces are thin strips or cut in to smaller chunks it will be less time. Don't over cook your food because your scared! :laugh: Buy a meat thermometer! Until then you can tell if it's done by: Juices running clear, and the feel of the meat. 40 min should be plenty of time!
  • troy_n
    troy_n Posts: 66
    Options

I forgot what we were talking about and now I am wondering WHO got to take that picture :wink: