How has prozac affected your weight loss?

Options
I take prozac and it practically has doubled my weight loss. I've been on it since May 5th.

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    No change for me up or down when I eat and exercise.
  • Jamazurunner
    Options
    Hi there,

For the first two months my appetite decreased significantly. I wasn't interested in food that much, and I lost a little bit of weight, but mostly just felt sick. I had some serious flu-like symptoms which I think had something to do with my eating habits. After my body became used to the prozac, there was no change whatsoever. I didn't lose anything, but I didn't gain anything either.

I'm actually just starting a new anxiety drug instead of prozac for numerous reasons. I'm wondering if it will have any influence on my weight loss. I think in the end it doesn't really matter what medication you take, its a combination of various factors when it comes to weight loss.

I hope this helps a tiny bit!

Jam
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I didnt take prozac but I did take another one and I know it help me saved my life!
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do don't go on Effexor/Venlafaxine or you will gain weight I did. I went from 120 to 195 lbs. on it. I have taken prozac before but don't remember if it made me lose or gain any weight. I don't think it was significant in any direction. I am just happy finally I have a doctor that doesn't recommend Effexor to anyone unless they have used up all their options. I am currently taking Lexapro again. It hasn't made me gain anything so I am happy and I am working to lose all of what I did gain from the other evil drug. LOL If it works for others great it just made my life h3ll!
  • Jamazurunner
    Options
    Whatever you do don't go on Effexor/Venlafaxine or you will gain weight I did. I went from 120 to 195 lbs. on it. I have taken prozac before but don't remember if it made me lose or gain any weight. I don't think it was significant in any direction. I am just happy finally I have a doctor that doesn't recommend Effexor to anyone unless they have used up all their options. I am currently taking Lexapro again. It hasn't made me gain anything so I am happy and I am working to lose all of what I did gain from the other evil drug. LOL If it works for others great it just made my life h3ll!

Know anything about Celexa or Depakote? I hear Depakote can trigger weight gain of 100 pounds. I'm too freaked to try it.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Know anything about Celexa or Depakote? I hear Depakote can trigger weight gain of 100 pounds. I'm too freaked to try it.

I am on Celexa and since starting it I had gained about 55 pounds. The good news is I have since lost 13 of those pounds in about 3 months and I am continuing to lose at a steady rate.

I think I like to think it was the medication, but I think it was because my anxiety centered around food and this caused me to lose weight in the first place. Then, on the medication, I was no longer scared of foods and I gained weight due partly to that and poor choices. As long as you continue tracking and exercising, you will be okay.
  • Jamazurunner
    Options

I am on Celexa and since starting it I had gained about 55 pounds. The good news is I have since lost 13 of those pounds in about 3 months and I am continuing to lose at a steady rate.

I think I like to think it was the medication, but I think it was because my anxiety centered around food and this caused me to lose weight in the first place. Then, on the medication, I was no longer scared of foods and I gained weight due partly to that and poor choices. As long as you continue tracking and exercising, you will be okay.

Eep. Hey spngebob, mind if I message you? I know that you had no intention to freak me out or anything, but now I'm a little nervous. If anyone else has any advice on prozac or other similar medications, let me know. As you can see, I'm jsut as interested as the original poster! Thanks.

J
  • GreenPharmD
    GreenPharmD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

To begin, I am a pharmacist and will try to give my professional opinion from what I know about the drugs, my personal experience, and what I've heard from customers. I have personally tried Prozac (fluoxetine), Lexapro (escitalopram), Cymbalta (duloxetine) over the years, and as of today begun Effexor XR (venlafaxine). I was on Prozac for 2 years during which I did gain a significant amount of weight. It does however, as people have said previously, vary from patient to patient.

That being said, the older antidepressant/anti-anxiety medications, known as SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro) work with serotonin, and according to most literature have the most incidence of weight gain in patients. The reason for this is not distinguishable between whether help with depression is causing a more normal eating habit, or if it is the drug itself causing the weight changes. Professionally and personally however, I have to say people generally end up gaining some weight; my personal thoughts on the reason why is not physiological but psychological; increased serotonin can cause us to be less inhibited, which leads to less control sometimes over things we used to be more concerned about (how much we eat, drink, even spend).

The newer medications, which in my opinion are more effective for patients with anxiety issues particularly, are known as SNRIs and are Effexor XR and Cymbalta. These work with serotonin AND norepinephrine, and even dopamine to some extent (more so with Effexor however). These drugs, particularly Effexor, are more well known for causing some weight loss. Not talking huge amounts (~5 lbs), but not that seen with the SSRIs. However their side effects are worse (as I'm experiencing, as we speak, blah!).

Then there is the ever popular Wellbutrin (bupropion) which is also well known to cause weight loss in patients using it. This medication acts on norepinephrine and dopamine, and can be used for depression, anxiety, and even smoking cessation. I believe the dopamine action causes some appetite suppression, thus explaining why Effexor can be associated with some weight loss.

Overall, I believe the great debate all of these products comes down to the person - were they depressed and over-eating? depressed and not eating? How well is the medication working, and what impact, if any, are its side effects having on your diet? On your activity level? I can tell you this - from my work experience, and speaking with many people concerned about weight gain when starting antidepressants, I have heard the most about Effexor and Wellbutrin causing any weight loss, and these are generally the recommendations I make to those very concerned about weight gain.

Your mental health is important though - and in no way do I see a medication regimen of any of these products severely impeding your progress.

P.S. I do also think it's strange practice to prescribe Phentermine "just in case" of weight gain due to Prozac.... I'd avoid using that drug if at all possible!
  • vanessark
    vanessark Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I gained over 30 pounds in a month and a half on Celexa. My doctor then switched my medication.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've taken Prozac since the early 90s and Wellbutrin in addition since the early 2000s. Never noted any relationship for either to weight gain or loss.
  • ammymickens
    Options
    In general, patients who use Prozac instead of other antidepressants are actually less likely to gain weight. That said, there is a chance that you could gain weight while you are taking this antidepressant. According to Drugs.com, weight changes and an increase in appetite are both side effects which have been associated with Prozac use. This is a popular side effect of many drugs. While some people may experience weight gain while taking this antidepressant, others may find that it does not affect them. More reviews about prozac here http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/drug-information-f5/prozac-for-anxiety-anybody-prozac-t6699.html
  • SInce starting Prozac 7 Weeks ago, I have lost 22 lbs but in saying that I have also started myfitnesspal and made an effort in changing the way I eat. So whether or not prozac has helped or it has just helped make me feel a little better and more motivated to stay on track I am not sure which one. Overall it certainly has helped in my general outlook on life etc.
  • betterbestbestest
    Options
    I lost weight but im seriously an anxious eater. So it helped with the anxiety but i stopped it because of the other side effects. Really sucked!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have been on sertraline for awhile and before that citalopram.
    When I was suffering the full effects of depression without medication there was no way that I could get motivated to do something such as go to the gym or adopt a wholefoods diet. So for me, the medication has been a stepping stone. I have gained weight during the period I have been on medication but I have also been sedentary and eating an energy dense diet for most of that period as well. So while there may have been weight gain as a result of the medication, the overall effect of taking the medication has been an improvement of my quality of life. Since getting back to regular intense exercise and adopting a vegan diet - I am now feeling better than I have in years. And...the excess weight is literally falling off.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Prozac helped reduce my emotional eating.

As for the rest of the above mentioned, I have tried Celexa (didn't gain weight) and Depakote (also didn't gain weight). The Depakote was a low dose for migraine prevention.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I see these threads all the time. PLEASE listen to your psychiatrist or doctor and not someone on a forum regarding which psychiatric medication you should take.

Everyone reacts to medication differently and that conversation should happen between you and your prescribing physician.

Some of the medications listed here and in previous threads are not even antidepressants, which is what is being asked about and could cause serious issues for people

Also, I cannot believe a pharmacist is recommending effexor to people for weight loss, considering you are going to gain it all back in the hospital trying to come off it. Enjoy the brain zaps
  • toolcreep9
    toolcreep9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this reply!! I have gained about 35 pounds in the last several months after having been around the same weight for several years. I have recently come to believe that it may have started when I began taking Prozac (for anxiety) AND Mirapex (for RLS). My exercise level actually went UP (because I moved into a new, bigger place and was doing a lot of work) and my eating habits stayed about the same. Do you think that this combo may have affected such a weight gain?

Thanks again,
    Michelle
  • bettyholl
    bettyholl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It really does vary from person to person. I gained 30 lbs on Celexa over a year, and now switched the Prozac. I can almost completely contribute the weight gain to Celexa because I ate healthier and exercised more over the past year in my entire life and GAINED weight. It was crazy. Hopefully switching will help
  • nicholelks
    Options
    Prozac completely takes away my appetite and I love it. I use to eat from boredom, but without that problem I am more able to concentrate on exercising and focus on other things. I am scared that it will go away, though. Oh well, for the time being I am going to milk it. Ive been on it for two weeks and am down 11 pounds.
  • twinmommy508
    Options
    I've been on Effexor for 14 years. I've gained 65 pounds from Effexor. I'm going through a major trauma and the Effexor is not even touching my depression, anxiety and obsessive behaviors. My psychiatrist is putting me on Prozac starting tomorrow, while weaning me off the Effexor. I'd love to be able to drop this weight. Effexor just fights any effort that I've made to lose weight....