Multiple Sclerosis diet?

Options
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with MS May of 2010. I've just started to totally change my diet and exercise plan, finally realizing I really needed to do it. I was wondering, are there any other members on here who are living with MS? And if there are, do you suggest any certain diet? Stay away from dairy? Gluten?

Thank you everyone!

Replies

• mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump....my good friend has MS so I will pass it one if anyone comments.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I know this is sort of old but I thought I'd reply anyhow. My husband was diagnosed with MS almost 6 years ago. He eats a well rounded healthy diet, low in crap. We don't eat hardly any red meat and we try to eat a balanced healthy diet.

Exercise and weight lifting can actually be a great thing for MS patients and help keep mobility and function.
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    I was diagnosed in April 2010. I started at the beginning of this year trying to lose weight. I didn't get serious until May. So far I have lost 33 lbs. I don't do any special diet. I do take green tea supplements to ward off inflammation and vitamin D because I was deficient. Most people with MS are. The thing that has helped me the most is yoga. I have always had poor balance and been a little clumsy. Doctor says it's common. Yoga has helped tremendously. Plus it's good for stress relief which is always good for the brain.

Edited: I did cut down on dairy. I don't drink milk anymore (used to drink it every day) but I still eat cottage cheese and other cheeses in small amounts. My stomach feels much better. I don't know if it has anything to do with the MS or maybe I am slightly lactose intolerant and never knew.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    My wife has R&R MS. She was diagnosed 3 years ago.

She had her first relapse where she couldnt move her legs, and went into rehab, and came out able to walk using a frame. Second relapse she went in, and came out able to just be in her wheelchair. Third time, she didnt want to go into rehab, and is not bedridden, and each subsequent relapse takes more of her. She is now barely able to speak, and is full time bedridden, and has to be fed her dinner by me or another carer. It's not nice :(

Diet wise, its almost impossible now. Her tastes change almost daily, and its getting very disheartening for me, as she is still refusing to go into rehab. She also has to have Thick 'n' Easy with every drink, and all she likes now is Fruit Shoots. Until she actually gets her mind in the right place to go into rehab, things will just get worse. Not sure how much more i can stand tbh. There's help out there, but she's refusing to use it...
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi. My husband was diagnosed with MS in May 2010 as well. HHS isn't on any special diet, just making healthier choices, we have cut red meat down to a max of once a week. He also takes vitamin D, by orders of his dr.

As for exercise he stays mostly to walking and has started doing tae chi to help with his balance issues.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi - I don't have MS but I work for a webdesign company who recently launched this website http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

Which is all about diet and lifestyle changes to help with managing MS - it is all clinical trial based and there is also a lot of community forums and resources as well.

xx
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who manages hers very well. She does lots of things including a vegetarian diet, very limited alcohol, is a yoga instructor, does colonics, acupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractic treatments and lifts weights regularly. It's a huge regimen but it works for her. Keeping muscle volume up is very important. She had some complete attacks which left her unable to function a couple times (both when she was extremely stressed) so she tries to really maintain her immune system. She's in her early 60s now. If you take care of it every time something happens you'll be so much better off.
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone.
    i have limited my crap intake by a lot. i used to eat at least a bag of candy a day, and other junky foods. but now if i want candy, it's organic and i don't have a lot of it. i was taking vitamin d but i haven't had the money to go buy more. one neurologist told me vitamin d and ms are not related. obviously he was a ****ty neuro.

anywho, ii have been feel a little better. today i'm pretty depressed and i'm still not sure why. and my body has been hurting but that might be from me exercising. my balance has gotten a lot worse and when i tried to do the wii yoga, like i used to, i ended up crying. i couldn't do any of the poses anymore. but i've been walking, doing just dance 2 for wii, and riding my bike a lot. i gotta take it easy, i got heel problems going on now so i'm mostly riding my bike. but thank you to everyone who responded.