Infared Saunas???

Options
Does anyone use them? Are they worth my time/money? There's a medspa in my area that offers 30 minute sessions and claims you'll burn "up to" 700 calories per session. Intriguing, but I don't wanna get suckered. If anyone here has had success with it, I might give it a try once a week for a few weeks.

Replies

• husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This sounds like they are trying to shoot you with laser beams. no thank you.

get a good run in and a massage instead.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    It probably helps with water weight, but I've never heard that it actually burns calories? I have an appt for Saturday (free coupon) and was just going to go and purge some water / toxins since it's been over 2 years since my last appt.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You do get an elevated heart rate and extra water loss from sweating, but it's not the same as a workout. And not nearly the number of extra calories burned that they claim. But, they are excellent for arthritis pain. One of the gyms where I use to work had one and I would use it regularly for the pain relief because I've got arthritis from years of wrestling injuries, but I didn't see any extra weight loss from it like they claim.
  • maddie002
    Options
    billsica - hahahaha! I'm a tanning bed user, so I'm used to laser beams :smile:

BeautifulScars - Thats what I was thinking. It might be something worth doing on my off days from my usual gym routine.

TWT, Really? I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 18 months old. Don't have a lot of pain anymore since I'm pretty well medicated, but it might be worthwhile when I do run into joint issues. If thats the case, I'm definitely doing it!
  • Emilyas1
    Options
    Depends on how much they charge for it!

Like TWT says, the only 'calories' you're going to burn are from the water you sweat out while you're in there. There's no replacement for good old fashioned exercise. That being said, if you get other benefits from it then it might just be worth it