Crap ... is there really a difference between these HRMs?

Options
After a lot of research I decided to buy a Polar FT7 HRM. I couldn't find the FT7 in a women's model. I was a little annoyed, but decided to go with the one that has a guy on the front. Now I'm having second thoughts about tearing into the packaging as I noticed that there is a sticker that says it's non-returnable if the package is opened.

Think this is going to really matter? I'm anxious to use it!

Replies

• brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i dont thik there is a difference, you put your stats in so it will go by that.
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    I like Polar's HRMs. I have an FT4 and I've been using it for over a year. I love it!!

Between MFP and the HRM, keeping track of my calories is a snap!

Let me know if you need a hand. Send me a message, and I'll be glad to help out. :)
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    I think it's just the size of the watch that's different.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference, I have a mens FT4. works fine.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! *rushes to get scissors and tear into package*
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    I have the FT4 and I have the man version... The only thing that MIGHT be different is that the watch and chest strap may be bigger? I don't actually know as I haven't seen the girl one to compare. However, I am wearing the chest strap almost as tight as it goes, so I assume the ladies might be a bit smaller. But when you do the initial setup you enter your gender into the watch so you should be fine...
  • KristinaD3
    Options
    Hmm...I wouldn't think so. I would call the store and ask them because it might equipped to pick up a stronger HR from a man than a woman? I don't know, just taking a stab at it, lol. I know if I don't wear mine correctly or it slides it doesn't pick up my HR the whole time.
  • jocraw66
    jocraw66 Posts: 52
    Options
    The size of the watch is the only difference. When you buy the HRM you get an option for the size of the chest strap so you should have been able to choose the size you wanted when you bought it. At least I had that option.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you can use any HRM that will record your AHR (average heart rate). that's all you need. you don't need a fancy one bc with just your AHR you can just enter all info into a formula to estimate your calories burned.

Here's one:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Do make sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and if you do not know your VO2 max, enter in 35 so you don't get an overestimation.

Fancy HRMs will do this calculation for you, but as you can see, it's perfectly easy to enter the numbers into a formula yourself.

blessings.