Insomnia....

Options
Well to start off I don't post much so I should introduce myself my name is Natalia
Anyway.....
To make a long story short I have had Insomnia , well for a very very long time and I have been on and off sleeping medications. I told myself that I would use my month long break away from school to achieve a sleeping pattern without using sleeping medication. Well, I have been doing this for 5 days now and haven't slept at all. I have been getting in a good two hours almost every night. That kind of explains why I am writing this at 5 a.m, I still haven't mannaged to fall asleep.

I am praying that it will get better but in the meantime I am worried it will effect my weight loss. I have heard that sleep is an aid to weight loss and 8 hours of sleep is needed. Obviously I am not sleeping eight hours. So my question," Is this going to slow down my weight loss."

Thanks in advance!
Natalia

Replies

• natalia221
    Options
    Well to start off I don't post much so I should introduce myself my name is Natalia
    Anyway.....
    To make a long story short I have had Insomnia , well for a very very long time and I have been on and off sleeping medications. I told myself that I would use my month long break away from school to achieve a sleeping pattern without using sleeping medication. Well, I have been doing this for 5 days now and haven't slept at all. I have been getting in a good two hours almost every night. That kind of explains why I am writing this at 5 a.m, I still haven't mannaged to fall asleep.

I am praying that it will get better but in the meantime I am worried it will effect my weight loss. I have heard that sleep is an aid to weight loss and 8 hours of sleep is needed. Obviously I am not sleeping eight hours. So my question," Is this going to slow down my weight loss."

Thanks in advance!
    Natalia
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would expect it to slow down weight loss some...but it won't be impossible to lose the weight. What you eat, water, and exercise are key! Chances are...loses the weight and the increased exercise will help you sleep better too. I would just do your best when it comes to sleeping and not worry about it so much.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I myself do not get much sleep, but mostly because of my work schedule and being a full-time mom. It's not for lack of my body wanting it. But for me, I have noticed a weight increase since starting this new job. I feel like I'm up too many hours and thus need to fuel my body, so I think I end up overeating or eating the wrong things.

Have you seen a doctor? Have you tried herbal over-the-counter supplements like melatonin or some of the teas?

Of course, as you know, it is not only bad for your body, but for your mind too. Eventually, you may find yourself "sleeping" with your eyes open and not remember where you get from one place to another, which can be especially dangerous while driving or even walking on stairs.

My advice, please see a doctor. if this has been a long period of insomnia, it probably won't be fixed overnight and your hormones or thyroid could be off. The only way to tell that is to see a doctor and get some bloodwork. All are easily fixable. But please PLEASE take care of yourself.

Nice to meet you by the way.
  • natalia221
    Options
    I have been seeing my doctor for a while now. We agree'd this would be a good time to let my body sleep on its own and not rely on medication. I tried melatonin for a bit and it worked but for a short period of time. I really hate medication and I just want to get past this.

I have been drinking more water then ever these past couple of days and I've been increasing my workout in hopes that I will pass out at night. Maybe it has to get worse before it gets better. I know its my mindset. I guess worrying about my weight wont help me sleep much:yawn: