Please Help this Salsa Addict...

Options
2»

Replies

• dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Make your own wonton chips. http://www.dashingdish.com/2011/07/wonton-crisps/

A wonton wrapper (not the eggroll type, without toppings, etc) is only about 5 calories each.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    A few people mentioned Kale chips on MFP and say that it is sooo good.....I have yet to try it! I will try and find you the recipe....do you mind sharing a homemade salsa recipe....I usually buy it store bought...but would love to try making it!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/detail.aspx

Thats the recipe for kale chips
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    A few people mentioned Kale chips on MFP and say that it is sooo good.....I have yet to try it! I will try and find you the recipe....do you mind sharing a homemade salsa recipe....I usually buy it store bought...but would love to try making it!

I usually just make it up as I go..but normally something like this:

Tomatoes, seeded & Diced (not sure how many...just whatever looks right)
    1 or 2 Jalapenos Diced
    1/4 - 1/2 an onion diced
    1 clove minced garlic
    Big handful of cilantro, chopped
    Juice of 1 or 2 limes
    salt and pepper to taste

You can also just throw it all into a food processor instead of doing all that chopping and dicing

Tomatillo Salsa (Salsa Verde)

10-12 Tomatillos removed from husk and rinsed
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 onion, quartered
    1-2 jalapenos
    Big handful of cilantro
    juice of 2 limes
    salt and pepper to taste

Boil the tomatillos, garlic, onion & jalapenos in water for a few minutes until slightly softened. Drain and put into a food processor with the cilantro and lime juice. Process until desired consistancy. Put in a container and refrigerate to cool.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I do put salsa on everything. If it is spicy I feel like I am eating more. My weakness...cheesefries. Oh man. I salivate just thinking about them. For me, I could not have just a few so I avoid it like the plague. But as far as chips go-take 9 out of the bag and go to another room to eat. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the recipe...I posted the one for Kale chips....I hope the Kale chips taste good and goes with the salsa!!
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I love chips n salsa and guacamole . I have to be careful to only consume the treat on a heavy workout day, I have sometime substituted Trisquit crackers instead of chips. Instead of a whole bag chips I can eat six crackers which is about 150 calories.
  • corapie
    corapie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love to make salsa from the garden & tomatoes are perfectly ripe just now. I like it on salads instead of dressing or on eggs or in an omelet. Also you can put it on fish before you bake it or toss it in with some whole wheat pasta like a fresh tomato sauce. Cucumbers sounds like a good snacking idea too.
  • Cornpuff32
    Options
    when I was in college I used to make my own chips by toasting the fajita size flour or corn tortillas....in a regular toaster. Start on the lowest setting, and push down again if you need to.

There are some chips that are popcorn like, but still tortilla based. I can't remember the brand name, but they weren't bad. I've been eating a lot of Aunt Gussies Cracker Flats lately, lots of whole grain and one BIG cracker is 60 cals. I one with a 1/3c of salsa the other night.