Crap

I thought this one dish with whole wheat pasta and fresh herbs, mozzarella, and tomatoes would be good for me, but I figured the calories wrong-over 800 cals!!!
I think the mozzarella did me in. So I went over almost 500 cals yesterday..crap.

Anyone have any good for me recipes with whole wheat pasta?

Replies

• verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    I thought this one dish with whole wheat pasta and fresh herbs, mozzarella, and tomatoes would be good for me, but I figured the calories wrong-over 800 cals!!!
    I think the mozzarella did me in. So I went over almost 500 cals yesterday..crap.

Anyone have any good for me recipes with whole wheat pasta?
  • Just lose the cheese. Or, go into cookinglight.com. They have suprisingly low-fat and low-cal recipes. Just substitute whole wheat pasta for any type of pasta in a recipe.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Remember we are set up on here to lose weight, so if you are like me your calorie intake is set up about 500 calories less than what your body burns in the day. So you went 500, you didn't lose anything yesterday, but look at it this way, you didn't gain either:happy:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Where did you get the calories to 800? No wonder you are in a state of shock! it MUST have been the cheese.
    Whole wheat noodles ARE good for you and are normally lower in calories then regular "THE GOOD STUFF WAS TAKEN OUT OF THEM" noodles. IE Egg noodles or white noodles.
    Try to get ENRICHED WHEAT out of your diet. If the noodles ingreadient list had enriched wheat flour amoung the top 5 ingred, then you need different noodles.
    You can not pass up the benifits of health that the WHOLE WHEAT fiber gives you.
    --Diann...
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    I am cooking some whole wheat pasta as we speak. I make a dish that can be served hot or cold.
    1 pound whole wheat pasta cooked.
    Drain well!!
    place in large bowl and while hot pour 1 cup of season rice vinegar. I use red pepper flavored one.
    Add fresh chopped parsley
    chopped read onions
    red and green bell peppers
    tomatoes
    and shredded chicken
    salt and pepper to taste.
    Let the pasta soak up all the dressing and then add about 1/2 cup and put in fridge.
    Stir real well before heating or just plating.
    You may need to add more dressing depending on how wet you like it.
    Enjoy.:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    iksnay on the cheeseway!

in other words get rid of the mozz!

I make a dish similar to what you described with whole wheat angel hair

In a sautee pan a tsp of olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, fresh basil tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and then I add balsamic vinegar to taste instead of cheese. This dish is great without the balsamic but eat it cold after it has been in the fridge for a couple of days to maserate...mmmmmmmm
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    My favorite recipe is also EASY:

1 14.5 oz. can Fire Roasted Diced Organic Tomatoes with juice (Walmart carries this)
    I/4 clove of elephant garlic chopped fine
    1/4 cup onion chopped fine
    1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
    1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley
    Dash of oregano and basil if you have it on hand
    Dash of Red or Black Pepper (Make it as spicy as you like)
    1 can of Doxie or other chopped clams with the juice
    BARILLA PLUS Multigrain Angel Hair Pasta or your whole wheat pasta

Saute the first 7 ingreds in a deeper frying pan i in the olive oil for 2-3 mins except the clams. Then add the juice of the clams from the can. Reserve the clams on the side. Then add 2oz of the dry uncooked angelhair pasta into the frying pan. Stir, cover and put heat on med/low. You must stir frequently over the next 7 mins but the pasta will cook and absorb the sauce too. Most of the liquid will go into the pasta. Do not overcook the pasta (STIR IN CLAMS) and serve immediately with (1 Tablespoon of Grated Parmesan Cheese ..This cheese had only 25 calories and lots of great flavor!). If you don't like clams you can make the pasta without it but you must add more liquid...probably chicken or veggie stock or broth would work well. If you haven't tried the pasta in my recipe...it is worth the extra $. Each serving is packed with Protein and Omega 3 and it really tastes great. If you try this recipe with the whole wheat pasta you will have to cook longer than 7 mins..just experiment 'cause it might become a fav of yours. :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Love that pasta! I usually put a 2 oz serving of low-fat mozzarella on my spaghetti. Adds 144 calories. Two servings of pasta are 420 + one serving of tomato sauce 60-80 cal. Adds up to around 650 in my book. About the size of my dinner. If you want it to be under 500, use 1.5 servings of pasta (315 calories) and one serving of mozzarella (72 calories) - keep the sauce the same as it's good for you.

Here's my husbands favorite pasta:
    ww noodles
    olive oil
    capers
    garlic
    tomatoes
    olives
    onions
    feta.

Cook pasta. At the same time, saute capers, garlic, and onions until onions brown. Add tomatoes and olives, cook through. Toss in pasta. Sprinkle with feta. Spinach would probably be good with this as well.