LADIES: How does menstruation affect weight loss?

Options
I can't find the answer to this anywhere. I was just curious because it seems when I started my period, the scale said 2 1/2 lbs more that day but then I weighed myself again and it was back down to what it was the previous week. I just thoguht that was weird and wondering if and how menstruation affects weight loss and the scales?

Shannan

BW: 224
CW: 214
GW: 140

Replies

• Shannanrw
    Options
    I can't find the answer to this anywhere. I was just curious because it seems when I started my period, the scale said 2 1/2 lbs more that day but then I weighed myself again and it was back down to what it was the previous week. I just thoguht that was weird and wondering if and how menstruation affects weight loss and the scales?

Shannan

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Shannan

Well many of us just plain don't bother weighing during TOM (time of month) because water weight is inevitable during this time...it could be up to a week and some for some women. Bloating does occur and normally discourages a person when weighing so most of us try and hold off on getting on the scale if we can for a bit.

It does effect most womans weight....it's water weight though, not actually lbs that will stay on...if you drink extra water try hard to keep the sodium down...it does help.

Why you went back down so quickly after you went up...you mean you weighted that same day?? Heck who knows...the body is a mystery and more so us woman deal with the mystery part. If you were indicating you went up then down the following week, makes sense....it's how TOM likes to visit...makes us want to eat crap and leaves bloating and extra lbs. as a result... normally a woman does lose that bloating weight after TOM is gone.

There's actually a thread ongoing now on MFP that I saw yesterday on this topic, if you want more go to "community' here on MFP click support section then in 'search' do one on TOM, menstration, etc...some key word will surely bring up MANY MANY threads....much is in the archives about this very thing.

Hang in there...you'll see we all deal with it as woman...just remember it's only temporary...ugh until again next month, then the next...:laugh: :laugh: :sad: :wink: :drinker:

Lots of water drinking and you'll help flush the fluids out..it will help.......water:heart: water:heart: water:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Brynn
    Brynn Posts: 7
    Options
    Personally, I never weigh during TOM. A bonus to TOM however, is that I know that I will always be at my lowest weight of the whole month the day after TOM is over (which is quite weird- but I still loving weighing in on that day!!!!)