What should I get my 13 year old niece?

Options
mommyoftwins05
mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
My niece's birthday is Thursday. She is turning 13... What should I get her? I don't have much to spend at all.. So something small thanks :)

Replies

• Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Claire's at your mall, or a shop similar? I teach secondary school, so anything like nail polish, lip gloss, hair ties, hair clips, jewelry, socks (the cool, crazy kind), flip flops, or even an Itunes gift card (if she has an ipod) would be great. This is the easiest age. I have a 13 year old niece also - I like to buy a bunch of inexpensive items (listed above) and put together a little goodie bag for her.
  • moprincess76
    Options
    I have a 10 yr old and a 13 yr old... a good MP3 is a good idea. ( if they dont have one.) I dont believe in cell phones for kids.. BUT if they have a prepaid one maybe some time for their phone... A gift certificate to get her nails or hair done would be loved also...
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Do you have a Claire's at your mall, or a shop similar? I teach secondary school, so anything like nail polish, lip gloss, hair ties, hair clips, jewelry, socks (the cool, crazy kind), flip flops, or even an Itunes gift card (if she has an ipod) would be great. This is the easiest age. I have a 13 year old niece also - I like to buy a bunch of inexpensive items (listed above) and put together a little goodie bag for her.

def this!!!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    If you don't know something in particular she likes, why not just get her a gift card to Target or some store near her? Then she can get what she wants. If she's a reader (or her parents want her to be) a card to a bookstore is good too.

Alternatively, keeping with the money theme, go to your bank and get dollar coins-as many as you want. Then package them up in a pretty drawstring purse. She gets cash she can use, a cool bag to use for something else, and it doesn't look as impersonal as a gift card. I do this with some of my adult friends, but I'll use a champagne/wine glass and glitter sticks.
  • Emilyannewithane
    Options
    I have a 13yo daughter and she would like some fun earrings, a Target gift card, cute sunglasses and some flavored chapstick, my girl loves art, so a new sketchbook and some fun colored pencils?
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    iTunes gift card.
    cute, but cheap jewelry (she's 13 then she'll probably lose it)
    Perfume (make sure you like it, she's likely to overspray!)
    Facial mask or manicure kit - maybe you could show her how to use it
    Books if you know what she likes - I did a big fail one year with the miley Cyrus book! she liked Miley LAST year, i was told.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the girl. My 13 yr. old doesn't want to wear makeup or nail polish. She loves making bracelets, drawing, and reading. Above all, they mostly think of themselves as "NoT" children, but occasionally like to be kids. OH, and 'coolness' is really important now, too.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yeah some reason my 11 year old niece (her sis) is easier to shop for to me. I love all the ideas!!

I think I might do the goody bag.. with nail polish ect.. I'll ask her mom.. I know what doesn't like say girly shoes ect

but I'll see what her mom thinks of nail polish, hair things ect...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Gift card for MP3s from Apple or Amazon.
    Take up no space and she will like them.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I just gave my 13 year old nephew a bayonet. I made him promise to try really hard to not stab people, to be safe you know. You can get them at pawn shops for like 8 bucks.

I'm the cool uncle.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am a realist. After 26 years in hospitals, I have seen plenty. Buy condoms. Seriously.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I am a realist. After 26 years in hospitals, I have seen plenty. Buy condoms. Seriously.

Aren't condoms more of a Christmassy gift? A stocking stuffer, perhaps?
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    an iTunes card...
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Depends on the kiddo. What are her interests?
    Or, a puppy.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with a gift card or money. I gave my niece the dollar amount of her birthday and she always loved it, and I didn't have to stress out if she would like it or it would be the right color!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Weed. Just a dime bag will do.

hahahaha no no no! wait until she's 15!