colon cleansing

Options
I know I know this is way tmi. What do you recommend? What is safe and healthy? I have never done it. I've been constipated for 4 days now. I drink 12 10oz glasses of water a day. Any recs?

Replies

• aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know I know this is way tmi. What do you recommend? What is safe and healthy? I have never done it. I've been constipated for 4 days now. I drink 12 10oz glasses of water a day. Any recs?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    don't buy any gimmick "colon cleaning" products; they are a waste of money and your body has natural ways of cleaning your colon. Is your diet high in fiber? Eat lots of fruit, veggies, beans, and whole grain products such as pasta and bread. You should aim for at least 20 grams of fiber a day. It's great that you're drinking lots of water - that helps things move along. I find it helpful to track how much fiber I get. You can add it into your settings in food diary by going under the "Food" tab and clicking the "settings" link. That should take you to a page where it says you can pick the nutrients you want to track. Select fiber.

If all else fails, get Senokot, which is a natural laxative that you take before bed and works within 8 hours - so you're able to have a bowel movement in the morning.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    more fiber....the wonderful whole grain breads etc...toss in some bananas...more water...try some more of that sort of thing before you put your body through something less natural...

what types of foods are you eating each day? Might be as simple as changing up things a bit... adding in more fruits etc..... how's the excercise routine, sleep and water intake, calorie intake, you getting in all your alloted cals and excercise ones as well?:drinker:
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    More fiber. Are you getting enough of your vitamins? I have some issues and take B-12 supplements when things aren't going well. That helps a lot and does not cost much money. Peppermint oil is a natural way to clean your colon. Just put a drop in hot water. It's actually pretty tasty as well.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try anything like a colon cleanse if you are feeling constipated...I would suggest the natural methods suggested above...but if you feel any pain or the constipation lasts any longer, I would see your doctor.
    A.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm a GI nurse and I'd recommend Miralax. It's a non-habit forming laxitive meant to be used for occassional constipation. Take a capful a day mixed in any beverage daily for no more than one week. I would definately look at your diet because most of the time constipation is hydration or diet-related. Drink at least 8 glasses of fluids per day, and increase your fruits, veggies, and fiber. Make sure you are active enough, and avoid binding foods like cheese, high-sugar foods, and processed foods.

I would contact a doctor if your constipation continues.

Good luck!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

I struggle with this as well. I think it's hard for our bodies to transition from a fat based diet to one that is protein- Complex Carb based. My Dr. recommended fiber suplements and fish oil. Did the trick, but took a few days.
  • aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. I think probably you're right about the fiber. I think I'm getting less than 10 grams a day in from what I can tell. I'll add that to something to track. I'm exercising well so probably not getting enough fiber and maybe the iron pills.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    Options
    thank you everyone. I think probably you're right about the fiber. I think I'm getting less than 10 grams a day in from what I can tell. I'll add that to something to track. I'm exercising well so probably not getting enough fiber and maybe the iron pills.

Ahh, you never mentioned the iron pills! That will do it every time! If your doctor prescribed the iron, see if you can switch to chelated iron, if you're not already taking it. Chelated iron is less constipating and causes less stomach upset. You can find it at health food stores.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm a GI nurse and I'd recommend Miralax. It's a non-habit forming laxitive meant to be used for occassional constipation. Take a capful a day mixed in any beverage daily for no more than one week. I would definately look at your diet because most of the time constipation is hydration or diet-related. Drink at least 8 glasses of fluids per day, and increase your fruits, veggies, and fiber. Make sure you are active enough, and avoid binding foods like cheese, high-sugar foods, and processed foods.

I would contact a doctor if your constipation continues.

Good luck!

I didn't know that! I've suffered constipation for years but I also drink very, very little. I did notice that I've been more 'frequent' so trying to drink 8 cups a day!!! This is neat! Thanks for the info! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: ->me from now on!!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I had to take a ton of Miaralax last night for a colonoscopy prep. I have always experienced extreme abdominal cramps and had to be within 5 feet of a bathroom with any other laxative, but I was really impressed with it. Of course I'll never want to take that much ever again, but I'll say X2 on taking it if you need some help. Everything was very comfortable.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    Options
    I had to take a ton of Miaralax last night for a colonoscopy prep. I have always experienced extreme abdominal cramps and had to be within 5 feet of a bathroom with any other laxative, but I was really impressed with it. Of course I'll never want to take that much ever again, but I'll say X2 on taking it if you need some help. Everything was very comfortable.

Hope all went well! As I'm sure you found out, the prep is the worst part of a colonoscopy! When we get patients readythe morning of the procedure, they are all grumbling about the prep and then the darn colonoscopy is over before they know it!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Hope all went well! As I'm sure you found out, the prep is the worst part of a colonoscopy! When we get patients readythe morning of the procedure, they are all grumbling about the prep and then the darn colonoscopy is over before they know it!

Thanks! Oh it was the best sleep I've had all month LOL. The prep wasn't as bad as I expected because I thought it'd be in a lot of pain. I didn't actually drink all 64 ounces :noway: but it wasn't necessary.