Differences between the north and the south.

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
EDIT: to clarify, I mean the Northeast, not the whole north :laugh:

Things I never heard/heard of growing up in the south:
Grinders
Package store or packie
Friendly's
Trader Joe's
Leafers
Johnny cake
Jimmies or shots
Paczki

To those of you that are going, HUH?!, that is, respectively
A sub or a po' boy
Liquor store
A restaurant
A grocery store
Tourists that come to New England to see the leaves in the fall
Like a cornmeal cake
Sprinkles
A jelly doughnut

Here are some southern terms/places that I grew up hearing/going to that I don't hear or find up here:
Catty cornered or kitty cornered (Diagonally)
Alligator pear (Avocado)
Sub (Grinder)
Chunk (Toss or throw)
Fix (not to repair, but as in "I'm fixin' to go to the store." Meaning, "about to.)
Coke (refers to pretty much any soda, or pop lol)
"I reckon" (I suppose.)
Hissy fit (temper tantrum)
Ain't
and my personal favorite, Well, bless your heart! Contrary to how it may sound, this is an INSULT! lol

Any others? :)

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    im from the northern us and out of all the listed terms, i'm only familar with trader joes and grinders! i know more of the southern phrases!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    im from the northern us and out of all the listed terms, i'm only familar with trader joes and grinders! i know more of the southern phrases!
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    and my personal favorite, Well, bless your heart! Contrary to how it may sound, this is an INSULT! lol

LOL, that one cracks me up, I was just having a discussion about that phrase. Also, in my house I say Dinner my husband says Supper. Sheesh.................Supper, silly.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    corn-pone (johnnycake)
    chittlins (sort of like scrapple)
    greens (any tough green veggie you need to cook with ham hocks in order to make it edible)
    yaaah-up...(meaning "yes")
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    people trip out when I say "ya'll....
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

LOL, that one cracks me up, I was just having a discussion about that phrase. Also, in my house I say Dinner my husband says Supper. Sheesh.................Supper, silly.

What's wrong with Supper? ;-)
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm from the west and i hadn't heard most of those either except for grinders (which is a new word for me) and trader joe's (love!).

When i lived in colorado, everyone called any kind of soda pop, all jeans were "levis" and you went to the market (here we go to the store). I love regionalisms! Growing up in northern california, one thing we always said that i don't hear in other places is "hella" or "hecka"....you know like "that's hecka nice!" LOL. Sounds silly now to me, but interesting nonetheless!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How 'bout:
    pop/soda/coke
    Bubbled/water fountain
    'za/pizza
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Proper annunciation of our words. For instance, we don't add letters to words that don't belong. i.e. The north says "wash", the south says, "warsh". Say what?
  • AngAndrews
    AngAndrews Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You must be from Texas! I have never heard of any of the "northern" things you mentioned but say all the "southern" words daily!

What about:
    y'all
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I didnt know a single nothern phrase. WOW! I like ours better! i fixin to go to bed! loL! I call the fridg an "icebox" lol!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin. You don't get much more North. I have heard, and frequently use, most of those "Southern" phrases; and haven't heard barely any of those "Northern" ones. &&&&& I call soda, "Pop", dammit!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Proper annunciation of our words. For instance, we don't add letters to words that don't belong. i.e. The north says "wash", the south says, "warsh". Say what?

:laugh: I actually know very few people that say warsh, and most that do are from Georgia, mainly.

Also, to the supper girl, in my house dinner was actually lunch and supper was dinner. Breakfast, of course, was the same lol.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the midwest and now I am raising my kids in the south. My 12 yr old can not get over that adults used to ask us when we were kids "where are youse going?" instead of "Where are ya'll going?"
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

i find this interesting as i was born and raised in tx and say wash.... however, my husband who was born and raised in cali says warsh lol
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I grew up in the midwest and now I am raising my kids in the south. My 12 yr old can not get over that adults used to ask us when we were kids "where are youse going?" instead of "Where are ya'll going?"

Oy, people up here say "youse guys"! It drives me batty! lol
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

:laugh: I actually know very few people that say warsh, and most that do are from Georgia, mainly.

Also, to the supper girl, in my house dinner was actually lunch and supper was dinner. Breakfast, of course, was the same lol.

Supper is when you eat at home in the evening... Dinner is when you go out in the evening. Dinner usually involves alcohol before, during, and/or after.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    In the Boston area, the "hella" is "wicked"
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I've lived in the north and in the south and that list is awesome!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

i find this interesting as i was born and raised in tx and say wash.... however, my husband who was born and raised in cali says warsh lol

That's interesting. I grew up in northwest Indiana and lived in southeast Indiana which was basically Louisville KY. Passing Indianapolis (mid-state) was like passing the Mason Dixon line or something because I heard things like "Warsh" all the time. People use to give me **** about having an accent too, kinda funny.