Vitamins & Supplements

Options
Just was curious if/what everyone takes when it comes to vitamins? Do you just take a multi-vitamin or specific supplement?

I was told to try Vitamin B6, that it helps boost your metabolism. Just was curious if this was true!

Thanks!

Replies

• SteffCooley
    Options
    Just was curious if/what everyone takes when it comes to vitamins? Do you just take a multi-vitamin or specific supplement?

I was told to try Vitamin B6, that it helps boost your metabolism. Just was curious if this was true!

Thanks!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I take Beachbody Activit metabolism formula. It's a multivitamin with 20 vitamins and minerals along with green tea and L-carnitine to aid in metabolism and fat loss. I love it! I have definately felt more energetic since taking it.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i take one a day - weight smart vitamins @ lunch time. I either buy the brand name or generic version, which has the same amount of vitamins and minerals in it.

I'm also working up the courage to take the fish oil supplements I bought for having a healthy heart, but I'm scared to take it because I heard you can get "fish burps" and I really freaking hate seafood... which is why I need the supplement in the first place to get those fatty acids. Maybe today I will start
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    Ewwwwww. :sick:

I have always wondered that about Fish Oil. I absolutely HATE seafood or anything that smells or looks anywhere NEAR like fish. Blech. I probably would end up puking if I had a "fish burp". :sick:

Good luck with that! Let me know how it works for ya. :laugh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    i take one a day - weight smart vitamins @ lunch time. I either buy the brand name or generic version, which has the same amount of vitamins and minerals in it.

I'm also working up the courage to take the fish oil supplements I bought for having a healthy heart, but I'm scared to take it because I heard you can get "fish burps" and I really freaking hate seafood... which is why I need the supplement in the first place to get those fatty acids. Maybe today I will start

I take fish oil supplements, and no fish burps! Ew!! They do stink though, so I don't breathe when taking them.

I take fish oil, biotin for my hair, and a multi-vitamin.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil but have no problem with fish burps.

I am a long-term user of natural/alternative medicine so I have a whole regiment of vitamins and herbs that include:

1. mult-vitamin
    2. Biotin (to reduce blood sugar.....it DOES work)
    3. Niacin (to reduce trigclycerides)
    4. Vitamin E (for heart health)
    5. Magnesium (for bone and heart health)
    6. Chromium (to reduce blood sugar......again, it DOES work)
    7. Calcium (I have osteoporosis so this is a biggie one)
    8. Fish oil (to lower triglycerides)
    9. Combination of feverfew, chammomile, valerian root, mugwort and rose (as needed for pain and stress relief)

The only prescription meds I use is Premarin. I've never been able to find an herbal alternative that actually works and I'm not one of the fortunate ones who CAN do without HRT.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i take a multi vitamin that has folic acid too :smile:

and i am taking extra iron as i am borderline anaemic at the moment :ohwell:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I take One a Day weight smart (I usually end up buying the WalMart brand). I used to take an iron supplement but it made me :sick: so I stopped taking it. I can definitely tell the difference when I am taking the vitamins. I don't get a midafternoon slump when I take them.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The only prescription meds I use is Premarin. I've never been able to find an herbal alternative that actually works and I'm not one of the fortunate ones who CAN do without HRT.

I'd say the essential ingredient in Premarin is pretty natural! :tongue:

My mom, convinced I'm starving myself, made me start taking One-a-Day Weight Smart. I haven't noticed any big change. Anyone want to tell me if they've had good effects?

I'm 18 and try to eat super healthy. However, I know I probably don't eat as many veggies as I should. I try to get 4-5 servings, but usually end up getting 3. Any vitamins you'd recommend I take to compensate?
  • pelelovesme
    Options
    I take the plain Centrum multivitamin. I used to take the One-A-Day Weightsmart but I didn't like the after taste it left in my mouth. Centrum doesn't have that. Guess I'm just picky! My boyfriend is taking an Omega 3 fish oil supplement. He says he feels better on the days he takes it compared to the days when he forgets.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I'd say the essential ingredient in Premarin is pretty natural! :tongue:

Grrrrr:grumble: ....they need to ban the marketing of Premarin, imho.
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For fish burp problems from fish oil pills, what usually helps is to freeze the softgels and take with ice water. Do not drink or eat anything hot with it. It will still get digested just fine. Hope that helps!
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    For fish burp problems from fish oil pills, what usually helps is to freeze the softgels and take with ice water. Do not drink or eat anything hot with it. It will still get digested just fine. Hope that helps!

oh perfect thank you!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Another seafood hater here - I won't touch anything that lives in water, so "fish burps" are unacceptable! However, I have taken a couple of brand name fish oil capsules with no ill effects (but I DO remember years ago when I had to take fish oil pills when living in Norway - that one had BAD fish burps) so I think the new brands must have some kind of improved technology.

Also I take them before bed - so maybe I do get fish burps but I just don't know it :laugh: :laugh:
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

Also I take them before bed - so maybe I do get fish burps but I just don't know it :laugh: :laugh:

haha that's an even better idea. i think i will just start doing that