Options

Replies

• TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    my speedy "creamed spinach"
    -1 cup frozen chopped spinach
    -1 wedge laughing cow cheese (light)

Microwave the spinach until hot and mix in the wedge of cheese. You can use any flavor of cheese that you like. I usually throw in some red pepper flakes or cayenne to spice it up.
    Makes one serving= 65 calories.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Last night I ordered from a local restaurant (only in PA I think), Isaac's Deli. They have a sandwich called a Magpie which is just to die for! YUM!

Strips of chicken breast with pesto-ranch dressing, provolone and Parmesan cheeses, crispy bacon and fresh spinach, wrapped in a grilled flatbread.

I skip the bacon because it is Canadian bacon and I'm not loving it too much (too salty for me)! This sandwich is about 537 calories (from their nutritional values on their website) but it is worth it! I love pesto and the cheeses and the spinach and the chicken... oh, yum!

Edit: I'm sure you can make it for less calories -- just get strips of chicken and add it to a wrap that you've melted cheese on and add the spinach and pesto.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I also love it with my scrambled eggs and in the winter I love it in lentil stew along with chopped carrots and tomatos. There are millions of lentil stew recipes on the web.
  • joysu
    joysu Posts: 71
    Options
    bump!
  • ktmccorkell
    ktmccorkell Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Spinach is my new favorite veggie. If i'm having it in a salad, i chop up some strawberries, add some baby carrots, and a few cucumber slices. So good. I dont use dressing though, but i'm sure it would taste okay if you did.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love spinach and apple smoothies! crazy sounding but delish! you don't take the spinach but it makes the apple taste so fresh and awesome, typically 1-2 cups of spinach for a large apple, and a bit of water. you can experiment with other greens and fruits too. google green smoothies.
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Have to bump this. Don't want to lose this post! Great ideas! Thanks!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd one out...I hate the taste of spinach. So bitter. Even when paired with dressing and fruit in a salad, I just can't take it.

I do put it into fruit smoothies, though.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    bump

love spinach smoothies aka green monsters:

2 c spinach
    1 cup skim milk
    1 banana
    1 tbsp flax seed
    1 tbsp coffee creamer

way better than coffee every morning!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Panini - turkey, spinach, bacon, avocado, provolone
    Fresh spinach on pizza is good.
    I also like to cook fresh spinach until wilted and add to eggs.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I wilt it and put it in mini quiches with turkey bacon and onions.
  • Hikerchick
    Hikerchick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love it in my morning protein shake whipped up in the vitamix:

1 cup almond milk
    1.5 scoops chocolate dymatize
    2 cups organic spinach, not cooked
    1/2 banana (or a whole if I'm drinking after my workout)

blend and drink - I crave this every morning, it's my favorite breakfast!
  • rpm900
    rpm900 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love baking fish on top of a bed of spinach.

Simple, clean, and easy recipe: take a large piece of aluminum foil, layer with a bed of spinach (however much you'd like). Add garlic, peppers, mushrooms (or any veggies you want) asparagus is good. Place a seasoned tilapia fillet on top, finish with some lime or lemon juice. Close foil around ingredients to make a tent and bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with garlic and olive oil and tossed with pasta. I also love spinach salads.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm a big spinach fan but have recently started switching out spinach in some recipes with swiss chard. OMG i went to a workshop at a botanical garden and we picked out own swiss chard from the planting area and made these grilled swiss chard packets filled with part skim mozzarella and sliced heirloom tomatoes! To Freakin Die For!!!

great. now I'm hungry and have no chard. or cheese. or buhmaters.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love spinach in smoothies. I also love it cooked with garbanzos and tomatoes.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love fresh spinach. Use it instead of lettuce on my sandwiches. Put it into my green smoothies, Saute with a little oil and a lotta garlic. Eat baby spinach like I used to eat potato chips...great finger food.

Some great ideas in this thread...spinach is on the grocery list!
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    I don't have the calorie count, but I love putting it in white pasta sauce. Oh my goodness, it adds such a beautiful flavor!