decent food that can travel?

Options
I attend uni that is an hour commute. I leave my house at 7:15 (usually rushed!) and am on campus until 5:45pm. There is very little on campus that is healthy, and most that is is way overpriced! Can anyone suggest some snacks or lunch that will keep here in this awful KY heat for my breakfast and lunch? I'm getting really tired of paying 4 bucks for a side salad and then another 4 bucks for a Starbucks smoothie that tastes awful :)

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    you could make a smoothie and put it in a container for your commute, I bought a single serving blender for only 20 bucks and it works great, almonds and other bars pack well

a thermos works for both hot and hold, I bet it put it in the freezer over night and stuffed some salad stuff in it in the morning it would still be cold by the time you are ready
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work & pack mozzarella string cheese, almonds, apple slices with natural peanut butter or a banana for snacks. The individual tuna & cracker packets travel well. However, most days I pack a salad for lunch & keep an ice pack in the bag.
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am also a student...and campus food sucks BIG TIME!! Things that have worked for me

baby carrots
    almonds
    cucumbers
    apples
    peaches
    grapes
    power protein bars

I got one of these large insulated cold beverage cups and I fill it with ice and green tea (home brewed) great for curbing appetite

Turkey or peanut butter and Jam sandwich
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I pack at least my lunch everyday. Some days my lunchbox contains breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :o) If you use an ice pack (and have a good lunchbox), you can take almost anything along and keep it at a safe temperature. Protein powder in a blender bottle (just add water), protein bars, nuts, fruits (in the skins), prepackaged fruits (when you're desperate or in a hurry), veggie sticks, wraps, etc. I rarely travel without my own meals. If I go to a theme park or for a long drive, I try to have my snacks/meals packed. Otherwise, I know I'll make a HUGE mistake. It is also very budget-friendly. Happy studies!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    An ice pack in a decent insulated lunch bag will do wonders. I was stuck in my car yesterday for 2 hours on my way to work and my greek yogurt, string cheese, hummus and all of my fruits/veggies were completely fine. Healthy fats (nuts and nut butters) are great as a late afternoon snack paired with some peanut butter. Salad with chicken, avocado and all the usual veggies would be a great lunch...easy and quick and won't spoil in the course of 5-6 hours if it's with an ice pack.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sounds really dorky but I bring a cooler to work everyday. You can buy small ones and get reusable ice packs to keep food relatively cool throughout your day. I bring yogurt, carrots, wheat wraps, veggies, fruit, etc. If I need to take breakfast to go I'll pack a baggy of Quaker oats, protein powder, and anything else I add to it and make oatmeal. You can usually find a cup of hot water anywhere.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    -Good ole Peanutbutter and Jelly can withstand pretty much anything. (on 100% whole wheat bread of course.)
    -Hard boiled eggs,
    -Carrots,
    -apples,
    -bananas,
    -pears...
    -Packets of instant oatmeal. (if you have any access to hot water or can buy a cup in the cafeteria.)
    -Granola
    -Cheerios, Cornflakes or any cereal and buy milk on campus.

...should all hold up pretty well

You can even grab things like yogurt or cottage cheese as long as you remember to eat those things earlier in the day and save things like PB&J for later on.

I leave for work at 8:30 and eat lunch about 2pm. Sometimes I bring a frozen dinner and totally disregard the instructions.
    By 2pm it's defrosted then I microwave it for 2 minutes instead of 7. (Of course don't know whether you've got access to a microwave in a student lounge)
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! I wrote everything down and might pop into the store and pick up an insulated lunch bag and some reusable ice packs for my lunch stuff as I figured out how much I spend a week and still starve on campus as opposed to buying a decent lunch bag!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    my favourite school food is definitely wraps! pack up a tortilla with chicken, lettuce, whatever you like, fold it securely (there are ways to fold wraps so they don't have any openings) and wrap snugly with cling wrap. I just chuck that in my backpack and heat it up at lunch, though you can eat cold.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.target.com/p/9-Can-Tote-Disco-Dots/-/A-13271670

I've had that tote (or maybe the bigger one, I can't be sure) for 2+ years and it's the best! Reasonable and you can wipe the inside down real quick!