Proteins & Carbs

Options
I understand why you would want to have low-calories and fat, but what is so bad about going over on carbs and protein?

Replies

• Jefferson716
    Options
    I understand why you would want to have low-calories and fat, but what is so bad about going over on carbs and protein?
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Are you going over on proteins and carbs? :wink: I can't ever seem to get enough carbs, but I always go over on protein. And sometimes fat! :grumble:
  • Jefferson716
    Options
    It fluctuates. Sometimes I have high carbs and sometimes high protein. It's frustrating :grumble: . I just find myself focusing on calories. Hope that's okay! :wink:
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Yeah, that's kinda what I focus on. And just making sure I'm eating pretty much healthy stuff (with a treat here and there or course.)
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is what I have been doing. I only look at the other stuff (other than calories) if I am way, way under or over. Then I wonder why I am unbalanced and try to look at what to do to fix. This only happens when I am trying to eat salad all day LOL :noway: :noway:
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I focus on total calories. It would drive me crazy and i would probably give up if I had to watch it all. I usually have carbs left over and sometimes fat and go over on protein, fiber and sugar.

I will admit the past couple of weeks I am attempting to watch my sugar and not go over. I had good results with South Beach Phase 1 but going into the next phase started having problems so thats why I go over more with protein and not carbs.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    I hate it when I go over fat! I'm not over today...but looking over my days, I see that it's usually good fats - 10 grams of fat just from my fish oil tablet. But that's the good fats as is the fat in PB (low fat PB that I have sometimes on my sandwiches) and the fat in my protein bar. That's all the fat I have today really. But I still hate it and wish I didn't ever go over fat. That's one part I do try to stay under.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I go over fat! I'm not over today...but looking over my days, I see that it's usually good fats - 10 grams of fat just from my fish oil tablet. But that's the good fats as is the fat in PB (low fat PB that I have sometimes on my sandwiches) and the fat in my protein bar. That's all the fat I have today really. But I still hate it and wish I didn't ever go over fat. That's one part I do try to stay under.

yes i'm always going over in my fat and protein intake too! i wanted to ask you about the fish oil... i bought some, but i'm scared of getting "fish burps". have you had those or any tips of when to take them? with or without food?
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

yes i'm always going over in my fat and protein intake too! i wanted to ask you about the fish oil... i bought some, but i'm scared of getting "fish burps". have you had those or any tips of when to take them? with or without food?

oh wait, nevermind. i see you replied to me in the other thread. thanks!
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options

I've taken them with food and without. And no problems at all! I just take them with water, and they're gel tablets, so they go right down. Just don't breathe them in - they stink!
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

I've taken them with food and without. And no problems at all! I just take them with water, and they're gel tablets, so they go right down. Just don't breathe them in - they stink!

haha @ them stinking. thank you very much!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You don't want too many of one nutrient because then you're getting too LITTLE of another nutrient. They are ALL equally important. Fat doesn't make you fat, and is in fact essential to life--nerve function, vitamin absorption, and cell formation. Carbohydrates give you quick energy, protein helps with tissue repair, and fats keep your body functioning. Too little fat will make you very ill. Too little carbohydrates will make you tired, but poses no threat to a non-diabetic. Too little protein will also leave you very ill. So I guess carbohydrates are really the least essential out of all three...but you shouldn't neglect any of them! :flowerforyou:
  • Jefferson716
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't know all that. It is just a lot to track!