Please help! Sticking to diet, but I'm getting fatter!

Options

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There have actually been studies proving that birth control does not make you gain weight. When women gain weight on birth control, they often blame it on the medication because it is listed as a possible side effect - but that is the pharmaceutical company legally covering their *kitten* with every possible side effect ever.

edit: here is the source, there are multiple. but i guess technically they did not test all birth control, just combination. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18843652
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    know you don't want to hear this *again* but it's hard to assess without knowing what you are eating or without having more info. how much do you exercise? what is your average daily calorie intake?

I haven't been exercising lately, but I am starting it up tomorrow as soon as my schedule evens out again (I just started college)

My average intake ranges from around 1100-1400, because I feel that one stagnant intake only causes plateau's. And yes I know 1100 is low, but I make it so it evens out to a healthy number of calories at the end of the week.

BUT I was losing weight on this EXACT diet, with no exercise, and the EXACT foods I'm eating now... I'm so confused. I have even been taking bloating medication, and it does NOTHING.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Since you won't open your diary, we can't really help much. We can only guess. Maybe you're eating too much. Maybe not enough. Maybe sodium is too high, or fiber is too low. Maybe you're not eating enough fruits and veggies, or maybe not getting enough protein. Maybe you need to change your exercise or drink more water. It's really impossible to guess out of the dozens of reasons for your gain.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    do you have a gluten or lactose allergy? even if it never bothered you in the past, it could be causing symptoms now.

Dumb question time- What is gluten? Like what foods is it in? I have been wondering if it is some type of allergy that just recently flared up...

for instance, last summer I randomly became lactose intolerant, and then this past December suddenly I could drink/eat dairy like normal again.
  • iamrobyn
    iamrobyn Posts: 85
    Options
    I say take your food diary, print it out, and make an appointment with your primary dr or even your obgyn. Hopefully you are comfortable enough to share it with him or her. If you honestly know you are eatting the right foods you need to have your thyriod checked along with a few other things that the doctor can suggest. There are some quick tests that can put your mid at ease that everything is ok and that you might just need to up certain areas of your diet or exercise plan.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Since you won't open your diary, we can't really help much. We can only guess. Maybe you're eating too much. Maybe not enough. Maybe sodium is too high, or fiber is too low. Maybe you're not eating enough fruits and veggies, or maybe not getting enough protein. Maybe you need to change your exercise or drink more water. It's really impossible to guess out of the dozens of reasons for your gain.

I have not gained, I have only gained inches around my stomach. No pounds, and no inches anywhere else.

My sodium is fine, my fiber intake is good, and I drink the recommended amount of water daily. I admittedly do not eat enough fruits or veggies, but that's because I live with my parents and three little children- and they don't buy much of it. And if they do, my little brothers gobble it up before I even get any.

I do not exercise right now, but I am starting a regimen tomorrow. My schedule has been all topsy-turvy lately due to school starting.

My protein sucks, but it always has. I have lost 30lbs on this journey so far, and my protein intake has ALWAYS sucked. In fact I was a vegetarian for a while.
  • clloy
    clloy Posts: 7
    Options
    If you're not getting enough sleep or are under a lot of stress, it could be affecting your weight. If I'm exhausted for a few days or am under a lot of pressure pounds tend to creep on even if I'm eating perfectly.
  • k3lly89
    k3lly89 Posts: 67
    Options
    I was on depo for 9 months and gained 5kgs on to my stomach. I never changed anything while on it but I still gained and could not lose a thing. I know people will say that it is what you eat but it isn't. Some people react to it. You can even react when coming off. I was fine for the first 6 months and then suddenly the weight packed on. A bit of it was water weight but it made me really bloated. I've since changed and feel so much better and I can actually lose weight.

If nothing else works I'd suggest giving it a try.

Also it mucks up your thyroid which could be your problem.

I must also say that I had stayed at a stable weight for years before I started depo.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Here, this is today's nutritional information:

1,306 126 40 38 958
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium

this is about average.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    If you are really that worried and are pretty certain you are not eating more calories than you are burning, go to a doctor. That's the only real good piece of advice you can get since you have said you have already ruled out all of the other guesses everyone else has suggested.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    If you're not getting enough sleep or are under a lot of stress, it could be affecting your weight. If I'm exhausted for a few days or am under a lot of pressure pounds tend to creep on even if I'm eating perfectly.

You know what, my sleeping pattern absolutely sucks. I'm talking I fall asleep between 2 and 4 am, and wake up around 5 am - 9 am. I BARELY sleep. That could be the problem.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    [/quote] My protein sucks, but it always has. I have lost 30lbs on this journey so far, and my protein intake has ALWAYS sucked. In fact I was a vegetarian for a while.
    [/quote]

Being a vegetarian has nothing to do with saying your protein intake sucks. You probably didn't mean to put it that way, but I've been a vegetarian for 9 months and have had ZERO problems with protein intake. Protein is in almost everything. I'm surprised that you would say that being that you stated you were a vegetarian in the past.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    BUT I was losing weight on this EXACT diet, with no exercise, and the EXACT foods I'm eating now... I'm so confused. I have even been taking bloating medication, and it does NOTHING.
    Bingo. If you don't know it, dieting alone has a tendency to burn of lean muscle tissue faster. This leads to a LOWER metabolic rate. Which means you will either have to eat even LESS to comp for a lower metabolism or EXERCISE to bring it back up.
    If you start exercising, you WILL GAIN WEIGHT from water retention, which is completely normal.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    do you have a gluten or lactose allergy? even if it never bothered you in the past, it could be causing symptoms now.

Dumb question time- What is gluten? Like what foods is it in? I have been wondering if it is some type of allergy that just recently flared up...

for instance, last summer I randomly became lactose intolerant, and then this past December suddenly I could drink/eat dairy like normal again.

not a dumb question. gluten is a by-product of wheat/barley/rye. it is in everything - dressings, condiments, anything made with flour, etc. google gluten intolerance and see if your symptoms fit.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    My protein sucks, but it always has. I have lost 30lbs on this journey so far, and my protein intake has ALWAYS sucked. In fact I was a vegetarian for a while.
    [/quote]

Being a vegetarian has nothing to do with saying your protein intake sucks. You probably didn't mean to put it that way, but I've been a vegetarian for 9 months and have had ZERO problems with protein intake. Protein is in almost everything. I'm surprised that you would say that being that you stated you were a vegetarian in the past.
    [/quote]

and I was a vegetarian for a few years, thank you. I am also NOT living on my own, and I do not buy my own foods. It's hard to get everything you need as a vegetarian living in a house full of carnivores, especially when you're underage.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

not a dumb question. gluten is a by-product of wheat/barley/rye. it is in everything - dressings, condiments, anything made with flour, etc. google gluten intolerance and see if your symptoms fit.

my symptoms are definitely on that list...

Do you think I should try a gluten free diet just to see if it helps, or should I go to a doctor to get it evaluated?
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    who is being judgemental? And how did what I say become hurtful? As I had said, I was pretty certain you didn't mean to say it how it came across. I was just clarifying what you had said so that other people understand that being a vegetarian has nothing to do with bad protein intake. I think you are being too sensitive and need to relax.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Even if you live with parents, try suggesting foods you'd like them to pick up. :) I usually make a list of things like coconut milk or spinach or small things my mother normally doesn't buy and doesn't mind getting.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Even if you live with parents, try suggesting foods you'd like them to pick up. :) I usually make a list of things like coconut milk or spinach or small things my mother normally doesn't buy and doesn't mind getting.

yeah but my mom is really not a very nice person, so she'd probably tell me to buy it myself. Which I totally would, if I wasn't already busy paying for a car, college, gas, insurance, AND all my clothes/makeup/books/school supplies.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your parents aren't supportive of your efforts... you're 18 - find some roommates and get out on your own.