Calorie Confusion!

Options
hi!
I'm 6'1 and my calorie goal is 1660 calories a day but I'm terrified of eating to 1660. I'm always 600-300 calories under, is that healthy...? HELP!
-IS

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no, eat your goal! I eat that much and I'm only 5'6". You should eat at least that, but probably actually more.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    They figure in a deficit, so you can definitely eat closer to your goal. I like to be about 200 under to make up for inaccuracies (no food scale, and I sometimes have to guess when work caters a lunch) although I eat when I'm hungry, even if it makes me go over. Also eat my exercise calories... Sometimes exercise extra so I can eat more.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I agree with eating all your calories but I would say...sometimes you won't be hungry and sometimes you will be starving. Keep the number as a goal but know that your body will always tell you what it needs. Eat healthy calories as well...10,000 celery sticks vs. 1 quadruple greasy burger same calories but totally different.

Take it easy on yourself though...all or nothing is usually what got us all in trouble in the first place! lol
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit is built into your goal. When you chronically eat too far below your needed calorie level you actually slow down your metabolism which is counter-productive now and also for the future. Some people do have some modest success with the extreme low calorie dieting, but it usually comes right back due to disturbed eating patterns and a decreased metabolism.