I cannot be eating that much sugar

Options
Something I have noticed since joining my fitness pal is that for someone who doesn't seem to eat a lot of sugar, I eat a lot of sugar!

I don't eat cake or lollies, eat chocolate and biscuits occasionally (and a lot less than most people in my office), and check my muesli bars, breakfast cereal and protein bars for sugar content.

But the sugar in the low fat dairy (1.5 slices cheese, 1/2 cup milk on my breakfast cereal and sometimes 150gish yogurt without added sugar) and fruit/veges I eat seems to often push me to 200% of my sugar goal for the day. And I have given up dried fruit, cause that's just way too sugary despite being fruity goodness.

So I was wondering - does this happen for other people? And also - as I am eating sugars naturally occuring in healthy foods, should I be trying to cut these foods down or should I let it go?

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about naturally occurring sugars. I stopped tracking mine altogether because I was sick of seeing red every flippin' day. As long as you eat a pretty healthy diet, you're fine.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Low Fat foods will have a higher sugar content - you're probably better off eating full fat versions if you're worried about your sugar intake.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    But then that means I eat over my calorie goal, as fat has way more calories than sugar, and is also not satiating. If it's a choice between sugar and fat, I'll take the sugar. And try and add a little plant sourced fat back where I can - nut butters, avocado, etc.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    But then that means I eat over my calorie goal, as fat has way more calories than sugar, and is also not satiating. If it's a choice between sugar and fat, I'll take the sugar. And try and add a little plant sourced fat back where I can - nut butters, avocado, etc.

I wouldn't worry unless you start stalling in which case I would probably try to cut down on sugar a little bit. I notice sugar and sodium tend to make me stall a lot when I go over on those.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    low fat foods are usually filled with alot of unecessary carbs and sugar. you are better off eating the full fat version and just eating less.

also if you have just 2 fruits a day you'll go over your sugar intake on here, it's set very low and I don't pay any attention to it because i rarely drink soda or eat anything snack like that would warrant me having to watch my sugar.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time, but I take comfort that now it's from fruit and dairy instead of cookies, cake and candy. Actually fat is more satiating than sugar but since you're getting it mostly from fruit sources and dairy, you're getting protein and fiber with it so that's what seems to be more satiating to you about it. Like the others said don't worry too much unless you plateau or if you're into cutting (really getting major muscle definition) in which case fat and sugar is a no no from any source. Something you could do is try to increase your protein and you will notice the craving for sweets will diminish as well, even natural ones.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm almost always in the red and I barely have any processed sugar. I manually changed my limit. I think it's important to eat as little sugar as you can, but not to go crazy over it.
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, same with me; but usually 2 fruit per day and regular healthy food will max out the 40 grams of sugar recommended. This happens even before cookies, cake, ice cream etc. can be factored in. Like you, I am not eating really junk food either (well, one block of dark chocolate per day); the sugars are coming from natural healthy unprocessed sources so am trying not to worry too much about it. I do not want to lower my fruit intake to just 1 because of the nutrients, fibre as well as the energy I get for my work-outs.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes in the family so it's something i watch, but haven't managed to stay under on it.

The one thing I do keep in mind is
    1) I'm eating way less food overall
    2) a smaller portion of that food is sweets
    So even if I'm not meeting my goals YET! I'm still doing much better than I was before I started tracking

The other thing is to really watch out for sugars in things sold as *real foods* the tomato sauce I'd been using had 9g of sugar for a 1/2cup. My favorite cookies had 9g for 15 cookies.... Where do I want to spend my sugar ON COOKIES OF COURSE!!!!!!

I read labels and had found a tomato sauce that had 1g of sugar in it. Went back to get it again and saw corn syrup as an ingredient and it now has 3g of sugar.

Sugar is cheap, it's a preservative and it increases the appetite. So food manufactures try to sneak it in everywhere.
  • sqenixs
    sqenixs Posts: 6
    Options
    Every single day I go over in sugar and sodium. I don't even worry about it anymore. A lot of the sugar is natural sugar, and the sodium, well I have low blood pressure anyway.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you really want to learn more about sugar/fructose - in all of its forms - research via MERCOLA.COM - Dr. Mercola's website provides abundant information on this topic.

He lists the fructose content in fruits, from low to high. I was truly amazed and now pick my fruits accordingly. He also lists vegetables; for example, beets (which I adore) are high in fructose.

SUGAR is the ENEMY.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I did sneak a look at that website, and the sweet eating citrus fruits seem to be problematic - swapping kiwifruit, strawberries and pineapple seems to be a smart thing to do.