Dairy...

Options
So, I do NOT like milk (I drink Soy beverages, but when the Dairy council talked to my class they said even the calcium fortified stuff isn't working like we think... it takes 7 cups of soy to equal 1 cup of milk in calcium, vitamins, etc...and is still missing all the other nutrients found in milk).
I eat it usually on milk or a freak "craving" hits, but that's it.

This is gonna sound dumb (since I am a home ec teacher and technically a health teacher) but if I just eat my dairy servings (I am paranoid about osteperosis) from things like cheese and yogurt...will I be okay?

The reason I don't like milk is silly.... I bloat... :laugh:
My face and body get all puffy...

I want to be healthy and strong and I know dairy is huge in that. I just want to make sure I am eating what I need to (since I've noticed the last few weeks my diet is seriously lacking).

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    So, I do NOT like milk (I drink Soy beverages, but when the Dairy council talked to my class they said even the calcium fortified stuff isn't working like we think... it takes 7 cups of soy to equal 1 cup of milk in calcium, vitamins, etc...and is still missing all the other nutrients found in milk).
    I eat it usually on milk or a freak "craving" hits, but that's it.

This is gonna sound dumb (since I am a home ec teacher and technically a health teacher) but if I just eat my dairy servings (I am paranoid about osteperosis) from things like cheese and yogurt...will I be okay?

The reason I don't like milk is silly.... I bloat... :laugh:
    My face and body get all puffy...

I want to be healthy and strong and I know dairy is huge in that. I just want to make sure I am eating what I need to (since I've noticed the last few weeks my diet is seriously lacking).
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there...

i dont think milk is a big deal.. or dairies in general... (i barely drink it, do eat cheese and yogurt everyday, coz i love it) i would take it with a grain of salt,, but heres a website of people that believe milk is bad for you

http://www.notmilk.com/

interesting.....
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hey Chubby Bunny,

We see a Naturopathic Doctor (in conjunction with our family doctor, and an allergist/immunologist)who (like all ND's) feels cow's dairy actually, in general, has a negative impact on health. Most of the vitamin content in milk is added back in liquid vitamin form, and a good pharmaceutical grade vitamin (we like Genestra Brand) will serve the same purpose as milk, without the antibiotics, hormones, and muscus problems related to cow's dairy. Your ND or MD can create the balance that is right for you (in terms of the ratio of vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium).

I personally wouldn't worry about eliminating dairy from your diet - I feel best when I avoid it all together (but I sometimes get weak and ice cream or tiramisu call my name - very rarely though). The Dairy Council (much like the pharmcetical industry) has product to sell, and do a great job at marketing. Vegans live very healthy lives without dairy! (as do we).

If you have any specific questions about eliminating dairy, I would be happy to e-mail my ND (or you can e-mail her from her website www.pathtowellness.ca) and I will send you her response. I would highly recommend seeing an ND - I guess depending on your insurance coverage (as it is quite expensive - we couldn't afford all the treatment we receive without it being covered).

Take care,
    Amanda
    :flowerforyou:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Hi Bunny,

I am lactose intolerant and only eat/drink soy products. I take calcium citrate pills to make sure I get enough calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium, but otherwise don't think much of it. If you are eating cheese, and other dairy products, you don't have to worry about not drinking milk.

I can't have any of that stuff and my bone density is still fine.
  • AJCM
    Options
    hi there...

i dont think milk is a big deal.. or dairies in general... (i barely drink it, do eat cheese and yogurt everyday, coz i love it) i would take it with a grain of salt,, but heres a website of people that believe milk is bad for you

interesting.....

Ohhhh...... interesting - thanks for sharing. Yes, most people in the natural health & wellness community agree that milk (and soy actually) are not great for your health.
  • PrettyOscar
    PrettyOscar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk either because I am Lactose Intolerant. So I drink Soy, Rice or Almond milk. I make sure I take my calcium supplements and I don't think about it. My doctor said as long as I am taking a supplement I will be okay.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    That's another issue I have.. I forget to take pills.
    I am HORRIBLE at it... even important ones like...ohh....birth control.
    It's just not something I guess I think about as high on my priority list.
  • may_marie
    Options
    hi there...

interesting.....

Ohhhh...... interesting - thanks for sharing. Yes, most people in the natural health & wellness community agree that milk (and soy actually) are not great for your health.

i have read somewhere that the milk industry has paid their way into the food piramids around the world. before the 50's is wasnt there ... shortly after, the gov started to buy tons of milk to give kids in school... before that it was not acknowledge that dairies were essencial to peoples diet..
    that said ............ i couldnt find anything online to back me up .... so.....................
  • may_marie
    Options

put them next to your toothbrush ......... you must be brushing your teeth right ?? lol
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

put them next to your toothbrush ......... you must be brushing your teeth right ?? lol

I do brush my teeth...but it doesn't seem to matter.
    I have them right in veiw on my counter, I've carried them in my purse, left them at school.....doesn't help... I STILL forget to take them and when I do remember it's either unavailable or days later.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    eh to be honest, I don't really believe that fact from the dairy council... i really think they're working for profit and milk isn't all that cracked up to be.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    another thing to mention is that over half the world had lactose intolerance and can't drink milk... yet not every one of those people have deficiencies in calcium or vitamin D. Therefore, milk isnt the only way to get those nutrients and isn't necessarily the best way to absorb them.

Strangely enough, I have used milk products all my life and beginning this year I'm suddenly lactose intolerance and allergic to hazelnuts and peanuts.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Nobody seems to drink or suggest Goat's Milk it is lactose free and does not bloat me or create mucus either, surely it is available in Canada, U.S.A.?, has anybody tried it?.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we are here we might as well dance! "
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the milk issue Bunny. I hate it. It doesn't really affect me but I can't stand the taste of it. :sick: I usually have a yogurt for breakfast and a string cheese for lunch and call it good. I'm sure someone out there will recommend that I get more dairy in my diet, but like a few others have said, I have a nutrition and wellness doctor who actually suggests skipping milk/dairy altogether. So I'd say if what you're doing now works for you, then stick with it. :drinker:
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    :drinker: I love milk; grew up on a dairy farm. It is great. I drink it for breakfast; lunch and supper when I get a chance. Love it with my meals. Sorry, y'all don't like it.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've "rediscovered" milk in the past 6 months, just like eggs. I used to hate both of them (except with cereal/oatmeal). Now I love milk and eggs.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Nobody seems to drink or suggest Goat's Milk it is lactose free and does not bloat me or create mucus either, surely it is available in Canada, U.S.A.?, has anybody tried it?.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we are here we might as well dance! "

Or breast milk. No one wants to drink human breast milk, but everyone hates on cow's breast milk too. :laugh:

Milk isn't necessary, but Calcium is. Whatever way you get it, just get enough. :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options

Or breast milk. No one wants to drink human breast milk, but everyone hates on cow's breast milk too. :laugh:

Milk isn't necessary, but Calcium is. Whatever way you get it, just get enough. :flowerforyou:

Well, babies want to drink to human breast milk, right? :huh:

(I know the push for breastfeeding is not big in the US - those formula companies have a strong hold on physicians - in Health Canada's OB literature /hospital programs it's basically assumed that every woman will breastfeed)

Post infancy, there is no nutritional need for milk from any animal.